GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousainou Ngum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 22:28:37 -0700
Haruna and Kalilu:

    I guess you guys missed my point. I was not and am still not out to get
President Jawara. What I'm saying is simply that, the juxtaposition of the
two regimes by Mr M. Ceesay and a whole lot of other people, as Hamadi
rightly asserted, just drives me nuts. This is because I am of the
conviction that both Administrations are bloody and therefore trying to
contrast one from the other isn't only illogical, but it goes further to
demean the victims of the Jawara era's criminal activities. What Mr. M.
Ceesay wrote about Pres. Jawara's rights record was illusory, however, his
overall objective in the letter was quite clear; trying hard to liberate our
people. This is just another dark spot in an otherwise positive missive.

    Now Kalilu, are you telling me that the freedom of critizing a sitting
president should be a prvilege? You must be kidding me, Bro! And besides,
Haruna, I never said in any way that Jawara taught Yaya. What I meant is
that, the system under which the Jawara administration operated was very
conducive to bring about the likes of Yaya Jammeh or even worse (God
forbid). As a matter of fact, that same system was what brought us the
1000lb-monster that Yaya Jammeh has become.

    That's what I deeply believe to be the case as an independent
individual. I am now ready to lay this subject to rest and move on to some
other important burning issues.

Ous Ngum.