GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Nderry M'bai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:38:18 +0000
              BY PA NDERRY M'BAI

We are very disturbed by the recent report published by  the "Fund for Peace
and Foreign Policy" organisation, which ranked the Republic of The Gambia as
a state in the brink of collapsing. The report which was forwarded by our
own Baboucarr Ceesay, hinted that The Gambia is a potential failed state,
despite dictator Yahya Jammeh's determination to further "misrule" the tiny
West African country.

IT'S TIME TO STEP DOWN!!!!!

The "fund for peace" report"  went as far as  raising fundamental questions
regarding what a failed state is all about"How do you know a failed state
when you see one? Of course, a government that has lost control of its
territory or of the monopoly on the legitimate use of force has earned the
label.

The report is revealing,  in the sense that it confirmed the current
maladministration taking place in The Gambia. The Gambia is indeed a failed
state. All developmental projects had failed. No hope for its people.
Hopelessness and economic uncertainties continue to grip the current
government and its citizens.

The Gambia had reached a stage,  where survival of the fittest is the order
of the day. Armed robbery, murder, abduction, unlawful arrest and bullying
of political opponents is now the order of the day. Our country is at war
and yet Yahya don't want us talk about it. Nothing will stop us from
exposing the already collapsed state.

It's a shame that The Gambia, which used to be Africa's economic giant is
today being ranked as a failed state. We are not surprised by the report,
since our country is being ruled by irresponsible and greedy so called
military "boys" turned politicians. These criminals had squandered our
nation's coffers,  in the name of accountability and transparency. From
1994, to date, Gambians had been denied economic prosperity by the Yahya
Jammeh "mafia government. Billions of dalasis have went into drains in the
name of so called vision 20-20. We are also aware of millions of dalasis
transfered into  overseas bank accounts by this administration.

We are challenging  Yahya Jammeh to step down now to avoid a total collapse
state. This will not tell well for him and his government. This is an
opportune moment for Yahya to embark on stock taking and honourably step
down. For the sake of posterity, we though it necessary to make our position
clear on this embarrassing and revealing global report. Even though Yahya
Jammeh is not in the habit of  listening to people, we though it imperative
to let him know that it's time for him to leave the presidency.

We at "ALLGAMBIAN.NET",  believe that change is inevitable in The Gambia, in
view of the current state of affairs. Yahya had two options at his disposal
for now. One, to step down honourably or to await the verdict of the people,
  which could strike at any given time. We have no intentions of scaring the
"kanilai" butcher, but it's our contention that the writings are on the wall
for everyone to see.

When you confide with some APRC big wigs,  they will tell you "pabi
dafawarajohei rayme" meaning that the oldman should hand over the country
and step down. What's most disturbing  is that Yahya enjoyed being called
the "old  man" even though he's young. Failure to call him "Pabi or HE'  is
considered as sabotage against his administration. This is no joke. We are
reporting credible information,  we are privy of.

It's time for Yahya to consider accounting for the billions of dalasis,  he
denied Gambians over the years. Any new government that comes into play,
will vigorously probe this corrupt government. While Yahya was concerned
about the type of suits the former PPP officials were wearing, Gambians and
friends of The Gambian will also be more than happy if he Jammeh volunteered
information about the cost of the "Warambas" and his kanilai zoo. We are
also interested in knowing the amount of budget allocated to feed those wild
animals. Also another  area of interest to Gambians is Jammeh's local and
overseas assets.

We have been reliably informed about Jammeh's  hotel resorts in Morocco and
other  business establishments in The Gambia being managed by his undercover
business partners. Such individuals are citizens of The Gambia, and would
brag time and time that they have the backing of Jammeh. Such people will
clear goods at our sea ports,  without being  thoroughly screen by our
customs and immigration agents. Often ports staff will tell you that a
container arrived without being inspected. The likes of Tarik Musa, Baba
Jobe, and a host of others enjoyed such privileges. We cannot honestly tell
the content of these containers,  since they were not inspected at the time
of arrival.  Whether they contain arms or drugs, nobody can tell. Only the
owners can explain.

We at all the "ALLGAMBIAN.NET" have no cause to dispute or question the
collapse state report about The Gambia. This is a true representation of the
current realities taking place in   our dear country. There is lawlessness
and economic mayhem. It's incumbent upon every Gambian to read the report
with an open mind. The Ruling APRC, under the leadership of Yahya Jammeh
should not be ashamed  to accept failure.

We are not surprised by the government's silence about this damning report.
If the report was in their  favour, they will openly talk about it. GRTS
will run 24-7 news program about it. You remember Gambia's economic
performance report.? This so called reported was circulated everywhere. But
since this is considered by Jammeh as a "negative report",  he will not
entertain any discussions about it.

Bishop Cleary and Imam Baba Leigh had time and time preached against the
endemic corruption in The Gambia. Since he Jammeh is at the centre of the
controversy, is not keen in tackling graft. He enjoyed  working  with
corrupt public officials such as Yankuba Jali Touray. To Jammeh corruption
is not a crime, but a normal routine.

What we are witnessing today is a total failed state. We feel sorry for
Gambians. There is no way that the situation will change for the better,
under Yahya's rule. Change is inevitable. It's coming!!!!. God safe The
Gambia and her people.