GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 06:14:56 -0400
Lansana:

You are no stranger to me.  You have indeed failed to mention
that you are a brother-in-law to Ousainou Darboe.  I will violate
a promise I made to Kebba Dampha and protect my integrity.

Before I begin, I want to thank you for taking part in a semi           demonstration when I was briefly expelt from Saint Augustine's              High School.  I believe I interrupted your English class to bid              farewell to Mrs. Faye and my cousin, Mr. Bakary Sidi Daffeh.               Through the efforts of Momodou Oudou N'jie, Mr. Gibril and the entire student body of Saint Augustine's, I was allowed back in school.             These efforts by the study body was neither a tribal thing, nor a            nor a regional issue.  Mr. Oudou N'jie put his life on the line because      an injustice was done to me.  I hope I can remind Bishop Cleary
about this incident.

We are in no mood for nepotism.  We are building The Gambia base
on truth.  If you remember, I met you when Ousainou came to Maryland
during the ALD festivities.  I have not forgotten what Ousainou told
me.  I have not forgotten what brother Sambou questioned Ousainou on
reasonable assurance.  I have not forgotten how I was asked to endorse
the UDP.  I believe I gave no answer, and stressed on the importance
of Ousainou engaging PDOIS and NRP.  I wish Mr. Mballow can share
light to my story.

You must understand that I joined the struggle because I
am a citizen of the Gambia.  I choose to fight for the rights of
all because I believe in democracy.  I choose to be independent in
mental attitude because that is how God made me.  I choose to not
endorse the UDP and UDP/PPP/Assan Musa Camara coalition because
Ousainou failed on his promise to me.  I am a grandson of an Imam
and I was brought up to speak the truth, nothing but the truth.  We
in Kombo East are proud of a rich Gambian tradition.  There is no
"jally" issue in speaking the truth.  That kind of behavior is alien
to us.  I wish someone can read this message to moro Fa Sankung
Gassama of Perang.

I want a leader who has the desire to not engage in a marriage
of suicidal thoughts.  I want a leader who does not make secret
dealings with those who were the culprit of yahya's infancy.  I
want a leader who has his own independent mind to engage the
rest of the opposition.  I want a leader who should not promise and
then fail to deliver.  Where is substance to your truth?

This struggle is neither a family affair, nor a regional issue.  We
are Gambians who believe in inclusion.  I neither seek a cabinet
position, nor a desire to speak the opposite of the truth.  While
you are free to speculate and offer inconsistencies,  I am also
within my rights to be my own person.  I am a Conteh and you should
know better.

If we carry on this kind of behavior, we will never compromise.
If we fail to reach out and speak also the opposite of the truth,           we will never reach the mountain top.  If we continue on with                this nepotism, The Gambia will be for the birds.

While I remain independent, I urge you to read between the lines before
you send damaging comments on the L.  I have every right to protect
my integrity.  I remain a servant to The Gambian people.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency