GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:17:00 -0400
Ms. Joh, you cannot in one posting say that the issue about the Alliance is
‘closed’ and turn around in the next posting and attack the Alliance
(including PPP). Such attacks will be met with the venom it deserves.

First of all, it is NOT true that every effort was not made to include
everyone in the Alliance. I will NOT tire repeating that Assan Musa Camara
sent a proposal to ALL the Opposition Parties. MRDG(UK) sent a proposal to
ALL the Opposition Parties. Assan Musa Camara properly convened a Meeting
and invited ALL the Opposition Parties. I live in America and I knew about
the Meeting. I said it here on G_L and PDOIS was quick to try and shut me up
because they wanted to give people the impression that people were engaged
in clandestine meetings. I did NOT suspect PDOIS’ ulterior motive when Adama
Bah jumped on me. But now I understand why they did NOT want people to know
that a Meeting was scheduled to take place.

Essa Sey lives in Taiwan and he is an APRC stalwart and by no means an
Alliance supporter. Essa Sey knew about the Meeting and even mentioned the
Meeting date of Thursday, August 9, 2001. What Essa Sey did NOT know was
that Hamat Bah was NOT in town then and the Meeting was postponed to Monday,
August 13, 2001 for Hamat Bah to attend.

What was stopping PDOIS during the week of August 6, 2001 from pointing to
Assan Musa that they did NOT like the mode of invitation to the Meeting? I
will tell you what. Because the reason is silly. We are talking about NOTICE
to a Meeting. Did people KNOW whether the Meeting was taking place? Whether
you knew through a message delivered by hand from a courier, or you knew
through a phone conversation, or you knew through email, or you knew through
letter delivered from the Post Office, is IRRELEVANT. What is important is
whether people received NOTICE.

ALL the Parties received NOTICE. UDP and PPP did NOT call the Meeting. They
were INVITED to the Meeting in the same manner PDOIS and NCP were invited to
the Meeting. Why did NCP attend and partake in the Meeting if they believed
that it was NOT properly convened? PDOIS is the ONLY Party that decided to
boycott the Meeting because they did NOT like the way it was convened. You
want UDP to force PDOIS to partake in a Meeting the latter does NOT want to
attend? How do you expect Ousainou Darboe to baby-sit grown men? If UDP did
NOT attend the Meeting, people like you would be accusing them of NOT
wanting to join the Coalition. Now, they attended the Meeting and PDOIS
abstained and you are still accusing UDP of NOT wanting to join the
Coalition. Remember, UDP is the Party that responded to an ‘improper
invitation’ (according to PDOIS). The Party is NOT caught up with FORM OVER
SUBSTANCE. The Party is NOT using silly technicalities to thwart the
selfless and patriotic efforts of Assan Musa Camara.

No fair-minded person will fault UDP, PPP, NCP, and PDP for attending the
Meeting. However, it goes with the territory for sore losers (whose leader
has NOT been chosen) to try and undermine the Alliance. But rest assured
that the Alliance will NOT just lie down and take those attacks. Your
characterization that UDP went off to join an Alliance with PPP is also a
falsification of the facts. As stated above, UDP went to a Meeting they were
invited to just like all the other Parties. Had PDOIS not decided to
boycott, they would now be in an Alliance with UDP. Had Dibba not walked
out, NCP will now be in an Alliance with UDP. Address the people that
decided to STAY OUT of the Alliance. UDP and PPP went to the Meeting and
participated fully. It is PDOIS and NCP that did NOT go to the Meeting or
participate fully, respectively.

And what is wrong in PPP wanting to get back into politics? Are you a Decree
89 proponent? Every Gambian is free to partake in politics. PPP has the
right to partake in politics. What you can say however, is that you would
NOT support them. But don’t act as if there is something wrong in them
getting back into politics. There is NOTHING wrong with that. It is also
disingenuous of you to suggest that PPP has ulterior motives in this. This
is far from the truth. Let us examine what we have here.

Liars from the APRC came here from day one when Decree 89 was lifted and
started spreading stories that PPP wanted to lead the Coalition. We all
jumped on PPP and told them that it was NOT their place to lead the
Coalition. I was among the first to say that I will NOT support an Alliance
led by PPP. My stance was a principled one based on considerations of time
constraints and the issues I want to talk about during the campaign season.
Unknown to most of us, PPP NEVER had the intention of leading the Coalition.
Among ALL the Major Parties in the country, PPP is the only Party that has
given UNCONDITIONAL support to another Party’s candidate to lead the
Alliance. All the other Parties for one reason or another, are dragging
their feet. Now, instead of engaging those Parties and asking them to at
least provide genuine reasons for NOT supporting the Alliance, you are
attacking a Party that is supporting the Alliance and you are imagining some
ulterior motives for them. PPP is the Party that did the noble thing here.
They did NOT go in there like Sherrif Dibba and insist that it is Jawara or
no one else. PPP did NOT do like PDOIS and propose that a total stranger
lead the Coalition. PPP did NOT just pay lip-service to the notion that they
do NOT have a problem with Darboe being a leader. On the other hand, you
have both PDOIS and SM Dibba saying that they do NOT have a problem with
Darboe, BUT at the same time, both Parties are NOT endorsing Darboe. Why?
Because PPP endorsed Darboe. Give us a break and quit the double talk.

Are you guys prepared to argue that Darboe is a PPP front? This was the
covert attacks I was talking about yesterday which even your leaders do NOT
have the guts to touch. Even Dibba when he was at the Meeting dare NOT say
that. What he instead mustered the courage to say was, why PPP was eager to
endorse Darboe. Why should the PPP NOT endorse the candidate they want to
lead the Coalition? Darn right they are eager to form a Coalition. We have a
mad man (Yaya) loose in our midst.

Anybody that remotely suggest that Darboe or UDP is a PPP front does NOT
have a clue about what he or she is saying. Let us take Bakau for instance.
Both Dembo Bojang (former NCP) and Sam Sillah (former PPP) are members of
the UDP. These politicians went head to head in 1992 and Dembo won the Bakau
seat for NCP. Now, after the coup, both NCP and PPP were dissolved.
Naturally, their politicians and their supporters went to the new Parties
that emerged after the coup. So, does the fact that Dembo is the UDP MP for
Bakau make UDP a NCP front? Darboe is an independent man leading a pragmatic
Party. He managed to bring ALL the former politicians in Bakau together. He
is a ‘uniter’. Dembo will represent the UDP in Bakau. Sam Sillah, his former
adversary, will campaign for Dembo in Bakau. That is the vision of the
Alliance. We want to take the Bakau experience to the rest of the country.
This is NOT about NCP or PPP. This is about choosing the best candidate for
the job. Dembo stands a better chance than Sam Sillah to win Bakau, let
Dembo stand. That is what it is about. This is NOT about NCP or PPP
dominating UDP. These are the solid facts that CANNOT be refuted. Instead
what we have is detractors talking about imagined ulterior motives.

The Alliance did NOT fall prey to any Yaya strategy. Check the facts again.
It is Yaya that miscalculated the determination of the PPP to selflessly
help to remove him out of office. Otherwise, why is Yaya running scared and
threatening people and doing stupid things like expelling the British
diplomat? None of you (PPP haters) thought that PPP will give their
unconditional support to an Alliance candidate. Even after PPP has
categorically done so, you will still try to imagine that they are looking
for a secret quid pro quo. Well, the motive for the PPP is quite explicit
and normal. They want a government (led by Darboe) that can wipe out the
lawlessness in our country and provide a level playing field for ALL the
political Parties. PPP know that Yaya will NOT reform the laws in order to
provide a level playing field for them to contest elections. So, they did
the wise thing and support a candidate they know will implement the desired
changes. PPP is NOT coming here in full force. Remember, Jawara or OJ is NOT
the Alliance leader.

I am glad that at least you had the decency NOT to repeat unfounded and wild
rumors about who ordered what killing in the aftermath of the 1981 coup. You
call yourself someone that wants to be in an Alliance with PPP and
regurgitate such garbage on a forum like this. Why don’t you let the
Gambians making the allegations say so in Banjul? These are just the
AFPRC/APRC nonsense they have been trying to feed our people. Their
rationale: it is OK to slaughter our children because during the PPP regime,
some Gambians were killed. I CANNOT believe that you will happily
regurgitate such garbage here. If you know that it is NOT your burden to
prove the existence of mass graves during the PPP era, then why put the
innuendo out there in order to cast a poor light on the PPP regime? You are
darn right it is for a court of law to look into the validity of such
allegations. PPP has been out of power the last seven years. No one can say
that Yaya is a PPP front. Why did the vermin NOT set up one of his kangaroo
courts to prove such wild allegations you are spreading now? This is why
people were conflicted about your sympathies. I am NOT saying that you are a
APRC supporter. What I am saying is that you are spreading the same
AFPRC/APRC lies in your attempt to undermine the Coalition. Jassey-Conteh
did the same despicable thing by saying yesterday that in thirty years, PPP
could not build even a single Primary School. Clearly this is a blatant lie.
Tell us who has been spreading such lies the past seven years.

PPP is NOT the power hungry Party here. SM Dibba is the one insisting that
he wants to lead a Coalition. Frankly, if the views expressed here by you
and Jassey-Conteh represents the views of PDOIS and NCP, I think the
Alliance is better off going it alone. The Alliance needs to look FORWARD
and NOT be obsessed with spreading AFPRC/APRC lies about 1981. Gambians are
NOT interested in that. People want food in their bellies. People want to
live in a free society where their children will NOT be slaughtered in broad
daylight by trigger-happy thugs.
KB