GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:31:09 +0100
Mr. O.B. SILLA,

You got this right. There are a whole bunch of African intellectuals the likes of Dr. Ayiteh who have failed us. A lot of them are enjoying too much of "milk and honey" somewhere in the west, and because they`ve been made celebrities by their western friends, they tend to forget their connection to their origins and their responsibility towards the enlightenment of their brothers and sisters in the continent. It is even disgusting that some of them are becoming spokesmen or women for us, and Dr. Ayiteh having the guts to underscore Kwame and Nyerere`s achievements is apalling to me. It should be interesting to know what the Dr has contributed in improving the lives of the average Ghanaian.

This is a problem. Our intellectuals no doubt have the know how, and this means that they`ve mastered a particular descipline, and if that is the case how comes they`re failing to give us a constructive diagnosis of issues affecting us and our developement. Among other things they`ve failed to tell us that blacks were victims of Hitler`s Germany, and all that we`ve learnt about the holocaust is the demise of Jews.

How about charging these so-called intellectuals for breach of responsibility? And I hope that Dr. Ayiteh responds to the challenge of Halifa sallah, then I`m sure he will get back to his senses.

Regards,
Omar.