GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 11:59:43 GMT
Karamba,
You are spot on. It is time we realise we are dealing with something that
doesn't understand the language of reason and decency. And that whilst in
the past the dictator unleashes terror by stealth, now he unasbashedly goes
about it in broad-daylight without any dint of remorse.
It is about time we ask ourselves the extent we will take it from him lying
down? How much longer can conscientious, peace loving and law-abiding
citizenry accept the immoral authority of an immoral regime whose intense
paroxsym of brutality has now reached fever pitch? How much longer would we
seek to a peace-ful end to the current political stalemate only to be
slapped hard on the face?
Government is a social contract between the governed and governors. When the
governed become mere appendages to be used and abused, then we must ask
ourselves is it not about time to morally, politically and by any other
means necessary to challenge this ill-gotten and immoral authority to free
ourselves of its bondage? This is such time when assaulting the central
authority of gov't is prudent and moral.
To set the ball rolling, i have in mind Mr Darbo and the rest of the
opposition leadership to openly call for civil disobedience through sit-ins,
refusal to pay taxes and whatever is conceivably going to weaken the central
authority of this immoral government should they be refused a permit to hold
meetings. If i rightly recall, Mr Darbo did intimate such views in a
newspaper interview sometime ago. He should now take the initiative to its
next logical progression. If he is refused a permit to hold meetings, then
he should call on all peace loving, law-abiding and conscientious Gambians
to refuse paying taxes, refuse obeying central gov't directives and anything
that can conceivably weaken Jammeh's immoral authority. Mr Darbo must make
this declaration by stating that he will be the first to disobey this
immoral regime by refusing to pay a dime to its coffers and even disobey its
orders not to hold meetings.
The underlying principle should be no more softie approaches to what calls
for a hardened stance. The Basse incident, if anything, has taught us a
fundamental moral truth about Jammeh and his thugs: that when pull comes to
push, they are just cowards parading bravery.
This immoral and illegal regime needs to be challenged NOW! JAMMEH MUST BE
TOLD IN NO UNCOMPROMISING LANGUAGE THAT WE ARE ALSO GAMBIANS!
Hamjatta Kanteh