GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 06:04:17 -0500
News
Independent’s press burnt
By Ousman Darboe
Apr 14, 2004, 13:38

The printing press of the bi-weekly The Independent newspaper has been
burnt by unknown arsonists, early Tuesday morning.

The attack came about six months after unknown arsonists attempted to burn
down the editorial offices of the newspaper on No 13 Radio Gambia Road.
Tuesday’s attack has left the printing press, said to have been bought for
over one million dalasis and installed in January 2004, gutted and
derelict.

Talking to Daily Observer, Namory Trawally, the production manager of Eagle
Press, the publishing arm of Independent media company, explained, “The
attackers came and met us compiling the paper [about 5am] and ordered the
compilers to lie down on the floor. They were all armed with pistols and
one of them was carrying a gallon of petrol and poured it on the machine,
which I was about to clean. He set the machine on fire but unfortunately he
was caught by the fire and ran outside.”

Mamadi Camara, a compiler explained: “The men were five in number and all
armed with pistols and they were wearing head masks. They fired inside the
room and ordered all of us to lie on the floor. I was kicked and stamped
upon and I sustained minor injuries along with others like Checkers and Ndo
(Nigerian vendors). Namory and three others inside the press wanted to come
out but the men blocked their way. The man with the gallon threw the petrol
on the machine and set it alight and they dashed out. One of the attackers
was heard shouting, “I am burnt, I am burnt!” and his men ran to help him
and they all ran away.”

After the attackers left, a printer’s assistant by the name of Amadou,
alerted the Serrekunda fire and ambulance service who arrived later to put
off the fire.

Mr Trawally said the attackers left behind a pistol and ten rounds of
cartridges which he said he has since handed over to the investigating
police.

Abdoulie Sey, the editor-in-chief of The Independent said, “This has once
again demonstrated that forces of evil will never rest until they get what
they want. As for the staff of The Independent, we will resolve to continue
our good work as we are working for the nation. The Independent has become
a permanent target of evil perpetrators.” He urged the police to be
vigilant and investigate the matter thoroughly.

Demba Jawo, the president of the Gambia Press Union, condemned the arson
attack on The Independent. He said given the clue and information the
police have, they should be able to apprehend the culprits and bring them
to book. “I am really surprised that this people can go this far in trying
to silence the media. It is a very bad move. Our job is a risky one and I
don’t think this will make us silent no matter what, we should not run away
from it”.

Speaking to Daily Observer at the scene of the arson, House Minority
leader, Halifa Sallah condemned the attack, saying, “This type of action
can never serve the purpose of suppressing truth, rather to isolate truth
or perpetrate them and to hide in the dark to carry such action is
cowardly. The state must also ensure that investigation is done properly
for us to bring the culprits to book. This is the second time and we are
yet to know the perpetrators of the first attack,” he queried.

Police spokesman ASP Aziz Bojang said he visited the scene with the
Inspector General, the crime management coordinator and other officers. He
however refrained from making any comment, saying “the matter is under
investigation.”
Meanwhile, Mr Sey has informed this paper that the secretary of state for
the Interior has visited the Independent offices and have condemned the act
and promised to follow the matter to “its logical conclusion”.

Sunkary Danjo contributed to this story

© Copyright 2003 by Observer Company