GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
yanks dabo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 01:14:42 +0000
Karim

I like your boldness to speak your mind out, regardless of what might be imputed of you. I totally agree with you that any one who aid the evil does not help the virtuous. I used to hear about evil men until i have one as a president.

Even if he had paid a million on my scholarship fees from the pockets of innocent Gambians, i would not repay those innocent people by serving a government that is bent on inflicting only pain and suffering on them. Cos then i might be ungrateful but not evil, and when the time arise i will serve my people to their development. I refuse to contribute to their down fall.

To set the records straight; i am no scholarship student of that universal doctor!

Brethren Yanks> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 20:08:32 +0000> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: gambian scholarship students (government)> To: [log in to unmask]> > Dr Jaiteh and Haruna> What a good comment. For Haruna please don't waste your time about> contacting Yahya Jammeh. I disagree with you that Jammeh did some good> but can you weight against evil? I don't think you are compromising you> principle but every decent citizens who is aware of the demage this> regime have effect on our people should isolate them. They can use your> ideas without acknowledgement and abuse you in the end. Haruna has you> stated this regime have no respect for highly trained Gambian and damn> what the so-called jealousy and moral adjudication coming from Suntou.> Sometimes we have seen jealousy in our country manifesting in tribal> dimension, educational achievement, material accumulation and access to> opportunities. Your contribution to the thematic issue remind me about the> research works of Gambia's Dr Ebrima Sall of Council for Development of> Economic and Social Science Resaerch in Africa- about the state of> academic and Intellectual freedom in Africa. Brain drain in our> continent is cause bad government, erosion of human rights and lack of> security for our continent's brain.> > Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Malanding,> > I associate myself with your concerns and verily financial remuneration is > the single most important consideration given the suffocating poverty in > Gambia. Since Gambia has a long way to go even after Yahya to match the financial > alternatives available to new graduates, I tend to share the belief, as you > indicated, that given a modicum of financial consideration, Life, Liberty, and > the unfettered pursuit of happiness and choice will do wonders in a short > period of time. And those things cannot just be promised. They have to be seen > to be givens. Professionalism must also be important to Yahya and it cannot be > bought. I know Yahya has the capacity within him to make it happen. What a > great day that would be for Gambia.> > In my own case for example, I was not lucky enough to be allocated a > scolarship. I wasn't even looking forward to it. I knew that whether I went abroad > for further studies or not, a university degree or not, I could be a valuable > citizen of Gambia and inmspire my fellow citizens. Luck would have it that I > was brought to the US by an acquaintance. All the while I was planning to > return to Gambia to give back even when Yahya first came. Meanwhile, and as luck > would have it, the graduate school of engineering afforded me an opportunity > to engage in research for the Texas Oil company and Aramco even before I > completed my undergraduate studies. I was still looking forward to going to > Gambia to work for the country. Even though I was handsomely compensated by these > two companies, I ended up giving most of it away to charity and endowment to > Morehouse school of Medicine. The ensuing events of wanton disappearances and > idiots running around town with weapons they could hardly operate just > sapped the enthusiasm from me. When I was finally ready to go, but sans zeal and > desire, (you know I can't keep quiet about important matters, hell I can't > even keep quiet for benign matters), I just fooled around and submitted a > proposal for a recurring annual contract for a multinational company and when it > was accepted I wasn't even exopecting it. But the rest is history.> > I am going to Gambia soon with the hope that I can share some ideas with > Yahya, without needing or requiring payment for it, just to lend me his ears. I > think even Yahya is tired of doing wrong now, at least that's what mutual > friends are telling me. I think I can make a difference in his life FOR GAMBIA > even if he has to take my life for it. It will have been well worth it. I see > he is making some effort and I think he needs encouragement.> > Thanx again for sharing. At the risk of going on and on about the fleeting > promise Yahya holds for Gambia, Haroun Masoud. MQDT. Al Mutawakkil. I just have > to liqudate my assets or give them away first or perhaps exchange them for > value in Gambia. If anyone is interested in a beautiful home or two, one for > $340,000.00 the other for $200,000 and a few drilling rigs for a total of > $10,000,000.00, Lemme know quick. They are priced to sell. I will be in South > Africa soon so giddy up folks.> In a message dated 10/30/2007 12:06:37 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, > [log in to unmask] writes:> > Suntou,> I am sure you will agree with me that all things (job security, proper > pay and personal safety) equal, few Gambians including yourself would > want to migrate to the West. And who says that an educated Gambian > living in the Gambia is more valuable than that who lives in Japan/New > Zealand, Spain or USA? Bytheway, did you check to see what effect > recent changes at Gamtel had on this fellow's decision to migrate?> > Suntou, it is not really difficult for one to figure out that many > Gambians (male, female, educated and illiterate) leave because the > Gambia failed to provide them Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of > Happiness (Thomas Jefferson). Trust me if the government of the Gambia > spends its time and energy to ensure these three things for the > citizens, few will think of migrating. And those already away will > surely return if things improve.> > If we do the arithmetic - A university graduate (MSc engineer) at middle > level management position in the civil service earns about D15,000 per > month take home. This is less than 700 today's daollars. With > moonlighting (as building construction supervisor or running after > travel per diem) the guy is doomed to embezzle public funds just to put > food on the table.> The same person in the US could take home $5000 per month. This could > easily guarantee him a mortgage, a car loan, food at the table, a chance > to buy a government allocate plot of land in the Gambia for $12,000 and > a regular monthly stipen for family back home of $100(D2000 todays dollar).> > May we should see government scholarship as investment on its citizens. > If the return on investment is higher when recipients work in Mexico > than in the Gambia, let it be. Bonding or other restrictions could only > worsen the situation.> > > Malanding Jaiteh> > > > Suntou Touray wrote:> > >some Gambian students are fortunate enough to gain scholarship into > >expensive overseas universities.this is a big opportunity for every hard > working > >son/daughter's of the gambia.but i have one major concern.the government > >spend thausands of dollars into this students .what policies do the > >government or regulators put in place to make sure the best is gain from > this > >students ? again ,what measures are in place to make sure some of this > >students return home after graduation ?> >> >i have seen quite a few government sponsored students who overstay or > >return home only to come back to europe or america in a very short period.> >> >i just heard of a case recently of a gamtel sponsored students who spend > >over three years doing his degree and then his masters .he return home four > >months ago . i heard he got a job in u.s and he is planning to travel to > america > >by next month.what a waste of public fund.on average a sponsored student > >spend 20000 dollars par year .how many civil servants can get their wages > >paid from that ? why are this people abandoning our country after the tax > >payers money has been spent on them ? > >who is to blame for this mess ? many have gone breifly to the government > >just to be seen and then disappear into either non-government organistion > or > >some other work places. what sort of bond do this people have to sign ? i > am > >not the least jealous of any one who went through a government scholarship > >program ,i only want appropraite repayment back to the gambian people.it > >doesn't make any one wiser to cheat our system.i may not aggree with > >government in place but if any one accept a scholarship from them ,then it > >only right you fulfil the terms of the aggrrement.> >> >いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい> >To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L > Web interface> >at: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/gambia-l.html> >> >To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: > http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=gambia-l> >To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to:> >[log in to unmask]> >いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい> >> > > >> > いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい> To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L > Web interface> at: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/gambia-l.html> > To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: > http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=gambia-l> To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to:> [log in to unmask]> いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい> > > > > > > ************************************** See what's new at http://www.aol.com> > > To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface> at: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/gambia-l.html> > To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=gambia-l> To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to:> [log in to unmask]> > > > > To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web interface> at: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/gambia-l.html> > To Search in the Gambia-L archives, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=gambia-l> To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail to:> [log in to unmask]>