GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:54:50 EDT
Sidibeh,

A few weeks ago, one of the Islamic organizations here forwarded an article
that reported that  an Israeli company had been awarded the contract to be the
telecommunications provider for Iraq.
Some of the 87 Billion the Bush administration is asking Congress to approve
for the rebuilding of Iraq is said to be slated for the provision of cellular
service for Iraq. The news media is also reporting that a powerful lobby
consisting of businessmen who are Republican insiders has been formed to secure
major contracts for the rebuilding, and  the small contractors cannot even get
concrete information who to talk to in order to be considered for a contract.
An American building contractor travelled to Iraq to see about securing some
contracts and he said no one would talk to him, but they showed that the
insider lobbyist in Washington can pick up the phone and talk to Paul Bremer.

Meanwhile, the average Iraqi is surrounded by all the ruins from the "shock
and awe campaign"  that made sure there is plenty of rebuilding to be done, is
struggling with where to get the basics for his or her family, and has no
money to invest in all these "opportunities".
By the time it is all over, all the basic services and other so-called
opportunities  in that country will be in the hands of  foreign firms, and the
Iraqis will be mere consumers. The delay to let the Iraqis form their own
government is to enable this process to gain ground.  How about that for a new  and
very well refined form of neo-colonialism?
The real reason for the war is definitely begining to unfold.

Jabou