GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:25:01 +0000
Jabou, you are absolutely right that we squandered a golden opportunity.  We
could have saved ourselves from this ulcer that is killing our health.
However, it seems to me that the opposition leaders are posturing toward the
same angle that made it possible for these criminals to slide us to our
current meltdown.

I say this, because if you noticed they never come to the defense of another
opposition party that has a legitimate issue with how this government
manages our affairs or the injustices they levy on our folks.  The
opposition parties had several golden chances to band together, but no, they
were busy fluffing their feathers to out shadow each other.  They had a
chance to band together and demand justice when the government slaughtered
the students and Mr. Barrow and they did nothing.  They had a chance to send
these people packing in the last presidential elections, but selfishness
ruled the day and we all, including APRC supporters end up the big losers.
For, this government has failed all Gambians except the thieves.  We had
another opportunity to have a strong opposition representation in the
Assembly.  Again, shortsightedness ruled the day and we end up with only
three in the Assembly.  What can three members pass or stop.  Nyassi was
unceremoniously abducted and it was UDP business for the others.  Now Darbo,
Jallow, Nyassi, and Marong are illegally detained without charge, and except
for OJ, the rest are mute.  Does this mean that the rest are not concerned
that Darbo and crew are unjustifiably detained?  Why are the opposition
leaders not coming out to address this common concern?

You know the most frustrating thing about our situation is that all the
opposition parties behave like they are too good to be seen next to the
others.  Everyone of them claimed to be guarding their principles and
associating with the others will dumb down their message.  What do we have
to do to make these people see the light and know that they are doing a big
disservice to Gambians?  You will think that after the last presidential
elections we would wise-up and deal with the reality of the situation.

With this economic meltdown, you had thought that they would come together
to address this maladministration of the APRC or organize rallies and
mobilize the people to change our situation.  No, they are all in their
bunker directing traffic.  This to me shows that these parties do not intend
to come together anytime soon.  I had cautioned against a battle between UDP
and NDAM, but it seems to me that fell on deaf years.  Every time I see them
lob counter assaults I just cringe because they are strengthening the hand
of the devil.

So, I am appealing to the grassroots of the various opposition parties or
anyone that can influence policy at the top level to convince your party
hierarchy of the need to join hands with other opposition parties and save
us from this misery our people are in.  If the opposition continue to ignore
the cries of the people, they might as well pack because up to a point folks
would begin to perceive you as spent forces.  Gambians are beginning to
write-off the opposition off.  Our people want those in the front to lead
them.  However, if those who are in front do not want to lead then they need
to step aside or move back.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou