GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:32:36 +0000
Paul, thanks for your response to Malamin.  I, however, disagree with some
of your comments.  I do not think that Mr. Roberts is competent for the Job,
based on his past performance of handling his current responsibilities.  He
is not independent in fact and in appearance.  What kind of advise can you
give to this man when he is running the errands of Yahya?  What happened to
the right to suffrage for Gambians in the diaspora?  How does calling for
outside observers translate to lack of trust of all Gambians?  What Gambians
lack trust in is those that are in control of our country and are about to
do anything to stay in power.  Since the average Gambian does not have the
power to enforce their will through the ballot box, and they know that based
on past performance of this government and the IEC, that their wish will not
be accepted, thus, the need for third parties (they do not have to be from
the West) to witness the thievery.  Because what is going to follow is
peaceful disobedience until justice is served.  We would need the
understanding of the international community when we stand up to these
criminals.  Calling for election monitors in essence is a preemptive strike
against what is bound to happen, unless you do not believe that the majority
of Gambians want these criminals out, and that they would do anything (even
kill) to stay on.  We are not calling for a perfect electoral system as you
seem to suggest, but a free and fair one.  Now, you tell me if Mr. Roberts
has been fostering that environment in your opinion.

Based on Robert's waffling on a number of issues that have serious
implications on our country, WE are not going to let him get by with
anything this time around.  That is called taking control of our destiny.
We will let him perform his responsibilities as long as he is on the
straight and narrow.  However, we would not hesitate to put the breaks on
him the moment he begins to meander off track.

I agree with you that we have competent Gambians who can perform the job,
unfortunately they have been bypassed.  I respect your position, but
respectfully disagree.  Thanks for adding value in the discourse.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou