GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ABDOUKARIM SANNEH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 18:27:17 +0000
Cornelius Hamalberg
  You most have a problem with yourself so I cannot continue. You really need a check.

Cornelius Hamelberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  GHANA IS THE NAME GHANA!

http://africathink.ghanathink.org/node/59?PHPSESSID=850ed10fd3c4bd5d8bb75ba65b6ad49a

Alpha Blondy? That's ok Dr. Sanneh. You expect me to sound like Gambian?
Like you? You have an opinion on me too? Just keeping you company, sharing
with you a little of my precious allotted life time. Pure entertainment (you're
supposed to laugh, not CRY, wrapped up in Mr. Big-UP- GREAT-ME-Myself. If
you had just won an Oscar, you wouldn't be feeling that way. So, you want
to explain the theory of relativity to me even though you know that I'll
never understand it? Go ahead. I'll be your slave. Perhaps you'd like
that. That I think exactly like you and say yes, boss, you're made of an
expensive kind of funky meat and sound so sweet. Or when you go to the loo
to be standing outside the door waiting to clean your soiled parts, for you
in-a-rub-a dub-style, with a crumpled up newspaper? You guys sometimes keep
me in stitches. Who gives a cluck what you think about Gambian Reggae music?
Musicians shouldn't have too much respect for primitive man. On the
instrument it's good to express some arrogance, savvy, what else? Sound like
Kafka? Joe Williams? King Kong?

Is it ok to say,"Yo, that sounds like Lucky Dube?" Lonely in a crowd, yes.

Or if a Jamaican asked you the same question would you feel it was an
insult?

You are obviously a proud Gambian! Cheers and Viva La Musiki and the
teke-teke (technique, we call it)

There are some things that I listen to and I feel like cleaning up myself.
There's also a lot of balls and a bull out there. Same with poetry, the
novel, other forms of thought-speech expressions, sometimes in "competition"
with others. Who gives a whit?

I know a lot of Jamaican's, including Babatunde (Cornel-ius) Ellis. There
are of course different styles of reggae and lyrics. Lyrics are fascinating.

I have practiced the specific Congolese, Ghanaian (Amponsah, Koo Nimo) and
to some extent Malian guitar styles to the extent that if someone asked if I
was from the Congo, Ghana or Mali musically speaking, I'd feel very
flattered. Benito Popolipo and those before and after him too. The Togolese
guitarist in Baobab. I discovered Louis Mhlanga ( "World Traveller") only
six weeks ago. He's ok. Discovered Jonah Moyo of Zimbabwe at the same time.
Still growing. I also like Asumane Camara, Ami Koite's guitarist in "DIGUY".
As for Habib Koite, he is one of my professors and I play with recordings
often - at home. I'm sure that if I were to ever play with him live, he'd
be shocked. But then, from my own wealth of experience

(With what I like) I'd be contributing personal creative energy and not
imitating - although I started off by imitating and copying exactly.....out
of passionate interest. If he asked me are you from Mali or Sierra Leone,
I'd feel that I was from heaven. After all that JAZZ, my favourite musicians
(mostly guitarists) are from Haiti, Congo, Guinea, Ghana, Nigeria, Mali,
South Africa, North America, Jamaica (Junior Marvin from Marley's live
album) Scotland, Madagascar (D'Gary). I've listened to some interesting
Gambian Kora players.

I don't know, have not heard specifically anyone who plays the way that I
do - even in my very limited minimalist ways..in a way I from the places I
mentioned. Nothing humble about me there. I'm fully aware of my ancestors in
the business.

You know the guy from Cameroon who sometimes accompanies Paul Simon? I wish
I could also play like that.

I also like some sorts of classical Music. Discovered Klezmer after all the
other rhythms.

I can sing - I do like Reggae, I am connected with Jah-maica, but I don't
think that I could sing like any of those guys (Gambians - Buharry hadn't
made it absolutely clear that they WERE Gambians) I could imitate Leone
Thomas, Al Jarraeu at his prime, I could put on an authentic Bob Marley
voice without trying much, There is no Congolese vocalist that I could even
get close to sounding like, certainly not Kanda Bongo Man..

Innocence, like ignorance is something of a gift. Musical talent is also a
blessing.

Cheers to the Gambian lads. I have been listening to them quite a lot - and
by the way, Malando Gassama was my friend. He would have laughed - if I had
made the very comment that you are now responding to.

I sometimes compared him to Elvin Jones.

Of course if your Gambian brothers sounded like they were Chinese, I'd ask
whether or not they were.

In your widest horizontal fantasy, would you accept such a boring or poetic
question?

I did not say that they were my favourite singers or musicians. That would
be stretching my ears too far.

But they are fine and there's nothing academic about it, in my jazz circles.
You too can holler in Mandinka, like Howlin wolf?

Here's a great one:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=sv&q=Paul+Robeson