GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2005 04:48:06 -0500
Gambia coach hails players
By Mohamed Fajah Barrie
BBC Sport, Banjul

Gambia coach Fred Osam Doudo has hailed his players for reaching the final
of the African Under-17 Championship after they beat South Africa 2-1 in
Tuesday's semi-final in Banjul.

The hosts will take on Ghana in Sunday's decider after the west Africans
defeated the Ivory Coast 2-0 in the first semi-final on Tuesday.

"I am pleased with my boys for carrying out my instructions well to beat
South Africa and reach the final and the World Championship in Peru,"
Gambia coach Doudo told BBC Sport.

"It is a big achievement for the Gambian boys."

The top three African sides at the Under-17 Championship qualify
automatically for the Fifa Under-17 World Championship in Peru in
September.

 I'm happy we won and I think we deserved to win
Ghana coach David Duncan

The Baby Scorpions scored twice in three minutes to turn the semi-final
around after they went 1-0 down in the first half.

The South Africans had played well in the first half and opened the scoring
after 18 minutes when Amos Sibeko, played in by Mkhanyiseli Siwahla, sent
Gambia goalkeeper Bakery Njie the wrong way.

"We made a lot of errors against South Africa that cost us a goal but we
were able to rectify our mistakes," Doudo said.

 Our focus now is to clinch the remaining place for the Under-17 World
Championship
South Africa coach Serame Letsoaka

The tournament hosts created numerous chances in the second half but it
wasn't until the 58th minute that Nyassi Sainey drew them level as he fired
home from the edge of the box.

Moments later, Momodou Ceesay capitalised on a defensive blunder and
chipped over the advancing South African goalkeeper Thapelo Mabokgwane to
take the Gambians to their first final.

"The Gambia defeated us because they were the better side and I want to
congratulate them for reaching the final," South Africa coach Serame
Letsoaka told BBC Sport.

"Our focus is now to clinch the remaining qualifying place for the Under-17
World Championship and we are going to fight very hard to beat the Ivory
Coast and take that spot."

The third-place play-off be played in Banjul on Saturday.

The Ivory Coast lost their semi-final after Awudu Abubakari and Opoku
Agyemang grabbed goals for Ghana in the second period of extra-time.

"I'm happy we won and I think we deserved to win," Ghana coach David Duncan
told BBC Sport.

Ghana will be appearing in their third final, having won the previous two
they have contested.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/africa/4558299.stm

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい