GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:33:26 -0500
Folks,
Just submitted the Thesis of my second MA degree. The title: MILITARY
>AND GOVERNANCE IN POST-WAR UGANDA, 1994-2000.
>Glad to share with you'll the joy. Attached is a ocpy of the abstract. I
>dedicate the work to my Dad, K.T. Jammeh, and all of you trying to bring
>meaningful governance to all Africans.

>Cheers
>
> Alieu K. Jammeh
> University of York, UK.

                      ABSTRACT OF THE DISSERTATION

The process of Governance and the role of the Military in any country are
clearly axiomatic. Respectively, one is for providing the rules of the
political game of a country that inform the relationship between the rulers
and the ruled and the other for safeguarding the territorial integrity and
enforcing the policies of government. Quite often, though, in many
countries these two fundamental elements of statecraft become fused. In
some cases, it leads to violent political conflict. Interestingly, in other
cases it can provide a firm foundation for building appropriate political
governance.

This study investigates the role of the Military in the process of
governance in a Post-War situation. The dissertation examines the case of
Yoweri Museveni’s National Resistance Army/Movement (NRA/M) in Uganda and
addresses the primary issues behind Museveni’s seizure of political power
in 1985 and his process of (re) constituting a working political framework
(i.e. representative institutions) in the form of the “Movement No-Party
Political System”.

The dissertation argues that colonialism provided the catalyst to the
collapse of the state of Uganda and its ensuing ungovernability crises in
the 1970s and 1980s, when it arbitrarily amalgamated discrete ethnic
identities to form the country. The dissertation claims this was
exacerbated by the politics of ethnic rivalry perpetrated by local
politicians, through the manipulation of the military. However, it is
further argued that the recent political engineering exercise under
President Museveni’s politico-military government, has ushered in an era of
political stability in Uganda and meaningful development that has eluded
the country for far too long.  The dissertation concludes that, although
the “Movement” democracy formula at the centre of this success is
admirable, it is difficult to gauge its sustainability particularly when a
significant slice of the population – the multipartist, see the “Movement”
as a thinly veiled illegitimate disguised form of one party system. It is
therefore recommended that further efforts be made to broaden the political
base of the “Movement” and its political ideology.