GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kejau Touray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:36:20 +0100
Open the Door to Knowledge
by Donald J. Trump
Chairman, Trump University

The beginning of every government starts with the education of our youth.

--Pythagoras

Pythagoras interpreted the universe through numbers. As a businessman,
that always appealed to me. It makes sense. He was a philosopher and a
mathematician and he knew the importance of learning. Pythagoras lived a
long time ago, but a lot of things have remained the same, like the
importance of education for both individuals and society.

Whenever I start something new, I know I have a lot to learn. This does
not discourage me. In fact it gives me energy. It feels like a fresh
start. When I started building golf courses, I had a tremendous amount to
learn, but it was fantastic to be doing something brand new and I loved
learning the details of golf course design. If someone had told me 20
years ago that I'd be developing golf courses, I would have thought they
were joking. But it's something I've truly enjoyed doing.

It's important to remain open to new ideas and new information. Being a
know-it-all is like shutting the door to great discoveries and
opportunities. Keep your door open every day to something new and
energizing. Sometimes I wonder what will show up, which is a terrific way
to start every day. Other times I might have to search a bit on my own,
which is why books and educational tools can be wonderful and should be
readily available. Maybe I'm just fortunate, but I'm never bored. In fact,
I think that's a big reason behind my success.

At least once in awhile you should ask yourself this question: What do I
need to know more about? Maybe it's world history. With the events of
today being what they are, it's probably a good idea to know a little
about how different cultures have evolved and are operating. Maybe it's
something else. I make an effort to read newspapers like The Financial
Times with ample international coverage on a daily basis, because it's
important to my business to know what's going on worldwide. That alone can
require serious attention every day. For you, it may be something else.

These days, we have few excuses for maintaining a blind spot. We all have
easy access to information. Going back to the ancient Greeks, Socrates
famously said, "There is only one thing I know, and that is I know
nothing." Pretty tough words coming from an esteemed philosopher, but it
opened him up to more knowledge every day. In other words, start every day
with a clean slate. Give yourself a fresh start by opening up your mind.

If I had started in business thinking I knew everything, I'd have been
finished before I got started. Don't make that mistake. There are a lot of
hidden aspects in every industry, and you will find out how complex
seemingly simple things can be. For example, to get a building built in
New York City requires knowledge of zoning, contractors, architects, air
rights, tax laws, unions, and about a thousand other things. I had a lot
to learn and no one else could learn it for me. But every day I would
learn something, apply it, and make progress. Believe me, being a
developer didn't happen overnight.

When I started as co-producer of The Apprentice, I had some knowledge of
the entertainment industry, but not an in-depth knowledge, especially when
it came to the particulars of reality TV. I had to learn about it. I read,
I paid attention, I listened, and I applied everything I learned. It was
like a crash course. But it was new, it was fascinating, and since I had
just jumped in, I knew I'd better learn how to swim in new waters, so I
did. It was a great experience, and it continues to be a great experience.

Never think of learning as being a burden or studying as being boring. It
may require some discipline, but it can be an adventure. It can also
prepare you for a new beginning. Notice the first word in my "Think Big"
credo: think. That's the first step. Use everything in your power to
utilize and develop that capability, and you'll be in for some great
surprises.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい