GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebou Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:42:17 EDT
Halifa,
Thanks again for your prompt response.  I still smell some casuistry in your
resonse that begs for further analysis.  You make a hypothetical induction
that the Gambians are somewhat victims to a virulent struggle between two
'camps', and this shall produce nothing but doom to the Gambia. To support
your premises, you use various language to characterize the Gambian people:
"spectators", that naively watch events and "pawns" to be utilized in a
power struggle.
Now for your conclusions to be justifiable we need to unearth the deep
causes of the current "status quo", or the power struggle.  I am sure that
you will agree with me that for 30 years the Gambian people had ever been
empowered every five years to choose their destiny in a free and fair
election, in which you even participated.  Yet that power was hijacked in
broad daylight through the barrel of a gun.  So I will ask you this
question, don't you therefore understand the position of those "overthrown"
to adopt all means necessary to restore legetimacy as a matter of pragmatic
utility rather than some dubious desire to come back to power?  Looking at
the current record of the incumbent "status quo", it is crystal clear that
every Gambian is pressured to have no other choice but to resort to force to
reposses their inalienable rights.
I will therefore deduce that the only people to bring doom to the Gambia is
the 'camp' that hijacked the voice of the Gambian people and not the ones
who were illegally "overthrown".  I will sincerely hope that you will
address each 'camp' appropriately.  Sir Dawda Jawara has all rights to claim
the presidency, he was given the mandate by the people and not a group of
soldiers from Yundum Barracks.

Greetings
Ebou Jallow.