GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 00:09:11 +0200
Mr. Dampha and Gambia-l,
Usually the list managers warn people privately if they feel that a member
should be warned and this is exactly what Malanding had done. He sent a copy of
the mail for the list managers to the subscriber in question in order to show
that he is not doing any thing behind his back.

Every email sent to the Gambia-l by subscribers are instantly received by all
members subscribed on Gambia-l and on the web-interface without the
interference of Listmanagers so what harm can an APRC sympatiser listmanager
do? Perhaph I need to be educated on that.

Remember that Gambia-l is an open forum and anyone with an access to the
internet and an e-mail account can be a member. List managers are not here to
double check on any subscriber who sends a request of joining the List. We do
not see the list as a political forum and for only APRC, UDP, NRP or PDOIS?

Knowing that Gambians are generally not democratic by nature, we should use
this service to its maximum in order to learn to be democratic. This is one of
the reasons that the list managers are giving everyone the chance to be heard
without removing anyone just because they have violated once in a while one of
the rules by "Personal attacks and name calling directed to individuals, groups
and/or organizations".

I am sure you already know that any list manager can remove any subscriber from
the list at any time but that would defeat the purpose of the Gambia-L.

On the issue of Ebrima Ceesay joining Gambia-l peepers, I think you should
write to him and ask him his reason. I have not seen him sign off from the list
yet.

Hamjatta, you can call us self appointed Ayatollahs but you should also
remember that Gambia-L is not a club but a service that is open to ALL Gambians
and those interested in Gambian related issues.

I hope I made myself clear even though I am not using The Queen of England's
english. Danish is may daily language of communication:-)

I am re-posting the Gambia-L Rules below, once again for everyone and hope that
we all try our best in order to make good use of Gambia-l.

Momodou Camara

 -------------------------------Start of Gambia-L Rules -----------------------

 GAMBIA-L RULES

 1.     PREAMBLE

 Gambia-L mailing list is for Gambians and friends of The Gambia to discuss
 Gambia related issues. The list is a free forum for discussion, debate and the
 sharing of information on and about The Gambia.

 The precursor to Gambia-L was a mailing list started in 1994, following the
 overthrow of the Jawara government.  The rapid growth of the Internet resulted
 in more Gambians getting online and consequently an increase in the number of
 subscribers to the original mail list.  This, together with a number of
 factors, warranted a much more powerful and flexible list management system.
 Fortunately, the University of Washington in Seattle provided this facility,
 resulting in the launch of Gambia-L on January 31, 1996.

 GAMBIA-L is aimed providing Gambians and those interested in Gambian and
 related issues, a means to communicate with each other, and exchange ideas and
 information of common interest.  In the process, it is hoped that a spirit of
 cooperation, of exchange of ideas, of healthy debate and dialogue for the
 National good will be cultivated. True, ours might not be one of the biggest
 lists, but we certainly can make it one of the very best in cyberspace.

 To attain the excellence we aspire to, GAMBIA-L will makes maximum use of it's
 #1 asset: subscribers.  Thus, management of the list is shared by a number of
 volunteers who will be rotated as and when needed.  Further, the list is
 configured such that it will be easy to use, but also prevent it's abuse.

 Subscription to GAMBIA-L is open, and free to all, but conditional upon
 approval by designated list owners.  Subscribers are expected to maintain a
 mature and responsible tone in the contributions they send to the list.  It is
 hoped that our individual sense of responsibility, fairness, and decency,
 coupled with the community policing of the list will help prevent, and contain
 outbreaks of poor taste in our debates.

 The usefulness of Gambia-L depends on the individual and collective efforts of
 it's subscribers.  Toward this end, the following rules were developed to
 ensure the existence of a healthy atmosphere for the exchange of ideas, and
 dialogue on Gambia-L.  The rules will also provide a basis for enforcing
 acceptable standards of behaviour on the list.  Subscribers violating any of
 the Gambia-L rules risk being expelled from the list in accordance with the
 procedures spelt out below.

 2.     THE RULES

 1.  Postings on Gambia-L should not contain extreme, insulting, or offensive
 language, pornographic material, notices of virus hoaxes, and chain letters.

 2.  Personal attacks and name calling directed to individuals, groups and/or
 organizations are not permitted.

 3.  Requests for subscriptions should be sent in private to Gambia-L managers

 4.  Personal mail should be sent privately, and not to the list

 5.  Any subscriber or subscribers can object to a behaviour or offensive use
of  language on the list.

 6.  A subscriber can complain about an offending posting by sending mail to
the offender, and Gambia-L managers stating the objection, and sufficiently
identifying the offending posting.

 7a.  The accused subscriber must, within 72 hours, respond to the complaint
 with an apology and promise not to repeat the offence, or refute the
 allegations against him or her.

 7b.  In that there is a disagreement about the gravity of the allegation,
 Gambia-L List Managers will vote on whether the accused is guilty or not.

 7c.  If the offender is found by the majority of List Managers to be guilty of
 the allegations, he or she must apologize to the person offended by his or her
 posting within 72 hours.

7d. Failure to respond to an alleged offence or apologize after 3
working days will result in removal from the list.

8. An expelled subscriber may apply to rejoin the list three months after his
or her expulsion.

9. Applications to rejoin the list must be approved by a simple majority of
LIST MANAGERS.