GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:19:51 +0100
Gassa,

3,000 jobs is no small thing as far as the Gambia is concern
But let us look at the issue from another angle; say that of those who are
opposed to the APRC, like me. Youwrote;

“The project includes repair work on the airport's runway and taxiway,
aircraft parking apron, the upgrading of the access road into a dual
carriageway as well as the road leading to the presidential lounge………..the
provision of street lighting from the airport entrance to the terminal
building and the provision of a standby generator…”

This also will increase other activities at the airport , much more better
than a Jet Fighter, this time around but the main reason for this upgrading of
the airport are, as you wrote is;

“………According to the GCAA Managing Director, Mr. malick Cham, the aim of the
project is to make Banjul International Airport a model airport in West Africa
in terms of safety, security and capacity.”

Being the case, going through a secured airport, to meet with the many beggars
at the door or the potholes of Dippa Kunda, the challenging factors to the
realities of ordinary Gambians becomes more of a security concern than a
Taliban going through a Gambian airport undetected. A poor nation like ours
have more other urgent matters than this and according to your notes this
airport project is with a total cost of D67miilion plus $18 million and this
is no small money for a nation so highly indebted.

If you could remember, you recently sent inn an interwiev of President Jammeh,
saying among other things that he could not understand why Gambian businessmen
are not producing Matchbox and candles. Had the government confronted the
business community with this amount on the table, saying to them, here it is,
we are prepared to engaged any business man who would build us a tomatopast,
machbox or candle factory, this would have been a much more productive
challenge to the business community. Much more better than 20 shops, 90% of
which are not going to sell products made in the Gambia and what would happen
to those 3000 if people are not buying at the airport. Don’t tell me Gambians
might not buy candles or tomato paste too.

Gassa, you might as well be aware that the discussion on Free Duty services in
European airports is building momentum, I am of the opinion that it will soon
become a ting of the past. The reason is not only the falling economic
boundaries within Europe but national government are saying it is not in the
interest of the national State and here we are, a poor nation, putting such
investment before other important national issues. Who is defining the road to
national development for us, at this stage of the economic backwardness of our
nation, should we allow loans to dictate the model and pace of our
development? We better land from their mistakes rather than copying or be
dictated.

Producing and selling our own products, will not only create employment and
ease the foreign exchange burden but in the long term gives us the need and
economic power to build the most wonderful airport in the world, and not only
in West Africa, without needing to talk to the Arabs or Europeans for loan.
Not so?

For Freedom
Saiks