GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 06:02:29 -0500
Soldiers swoop on daily close to ousted Ivory Coast leader

   ABIDJAN, March 25 (AFP) - A dozen soldiers raided the offices of Le
National daily, considered close to ousted Ivory Coast president Henri
Konan
Bedie, and threatened journalists there, several papers reported Saturday.
   The soldiers, believed to belong to a vigilante-style group which helped
spearhead the coup against Bedie, fired three shots in the air and forced
journalists to do push-ups, the papers said.
   "We have come to traumatize you. Go home, and don't come back until
Monday," said the group's leader, Corporal Moussa Toure.
   The independent daily Soir info, reported that men in uniform had
occupied
the newspaper office for two hours, making death threats.
   It was not the first time the so-called Camora squad had taken an
interest
in staff of Le National. On two earlier occasions, reporters and the
publisher
had been interrogated by the soldiers.
   "We will kill you and nothing will happen," said one of the soldiers,
adding that Robert Guei was the new Ivory Coast strongman "but we are in
charge."
   Guei heads a junta which ousted Bedie on December 24. The junta has
accused
Bedie of embezzling state funds.
   fp/mec/gj

sidi sanneh