GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
James Jatta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 21:52:50 +0100
The trouble with unmetered Internet access here is that it is in it's
infancy, and everyone has tried to jump on the band wagon very
quickly.  The result is too many potential customers and too few
facilities.  Many complaints have resulted.

The cable company NTL are offering free unmetered access, but you will have
to wait some months to get to thew head of their waiting list.  But the
service is free,although you will to route your phone calls through them to
qualify if you aren't already an existing customer.

I wouldn't pay to join one of the other advertised services run by other
companies.  There have been many complaints that these just don't come up
with the goods.

The gist of this is that there is no such thing as a free lunch.  Even NTL
aren't really giving the service free, they want your normal call
business.  It should also be borne in mind that Net sessions are always
restricted in length when you do get connected free.  Usually it is a
maximum of 2 hours, and connection speeds may be well short of the 56K
claimed (and advertised).  But you can't have everything can you!

I am informed that I shall receive my free set up disk from NTL by
31.8.200  - I have been waiting since the end of April.  You can find out
about them at:

http://www.askntl.com