GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MOMODOU BUHARRY GASSAMA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:07:00 +0200
Hi Matarr!
                   Thanks for your mail. I tried to find where I wrote
"those who advocate peace and violence to change the system are living a
fallacy;"  but couldn't find it. I am as concerned about the future of our
country as everyone else and that is why I am truly concerned about calls
for violence. I have in my readings come across positions which support the
threat of the use of force as a form of sanction. In "The Applicability of
International Law Standards to United Nations Economic Sanctions
Programmes", the authors espouse that "the military instrument may have to
be used first, initially by threat communication..." I have however
abstained from going by it for fear that if that threat is not regulated and
co-ordinated it might lead to more harm than good. I do not believe in the
"Yalla bahna" approach. That is why I wrote that we have to have both
proactive and reactive non-violent methods some of which I listed. Thanks.

Buharry.