GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:47:47 -0200
Gambia-l,
The following was sent to the Gambia Goverment on the 13th April.

Declaration by the Presidency on behalf of the European Union on Gambia

The European Union (EU) strongly condemns the attempted coup to remove the
government of The Gambia on 21 March. We reject any effort to overthrow a
democratically elected government. We welcome the fact that the Gambian people
responded with calm and restraint.

Whilst acknowledging the prerogative of the Gambian authorities fully to
investigate the events surrounding the coup, we are concerned that some of
those detained have been held without charge beyond the 72-hour limit required
under Gambian Law. The EU urges the Gambian authorities to adhere to correct
procedures and to respect the human rights of those detained, to disclose their
place of detention and to ensure their safety and well-being as well as access
to legal counsel.

The EU notes with concern that the Independent Newspaper was forced to close
following the arrest of the Managing Director and Editor. We urge the Gambian
authorities to clarify the reasons for this action and we remind them that
respect for a free press, as part of the right to freedom of expression, is
integral to ensuring that citizens can exercise their full democratic
   http://home3.inet.tele.dk/mcamara
   http://www.gambia.dk

**"Start by doing what's necessary, then what's
 possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible"***

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい