GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prince Coker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:39:15 -0400
LS,

I think the extracts of Jammeh’s speech to the APRC gathering at Brikama, posted by The Right,Left, and Centre Honourable, Lord, Dr, Professor, Sir, Not-yet-Alhaji Lamin Camara, TGC, RBN (28th November) makes a good reading; not only the substance of the speech but the style. I find it derogatory and impudent to all intelligent Gambians. The tone of his speech could only be compared to those of Idi Amin, Mussolini, Bukasa, Adolf Hitler and leaders of the now defunct Soviet Union. There is no head of state in a civilized, democratic and Lovely nation, such as The Gambia, who would use the word “I” (first person singular) when talking about the affairs of state. The terms are either “WE…” (meaning the people) or ”MY GOVERNMENT….” (As the head of it).

The threats of  “I will deal with you in such a way…….” .
And  “….Any day  I get hold of you ……, I will deal with you as if….”  are  not only authoritarian and dictatorial but it contains some elements of a lack of the rule of law, a flash-back to that avuncular head-teacher most Gambians confronted .

With regard to the substance of the speech, Jammeh equates the APRC with the PPP. “Be it PPP or APRC, corruption is corruption…” . This is an open acknowledgement that the APRC is no better than our ‘ancien régime’, but one thing we can all agree to is that, the PPP were impeccable during their first five years in office.  How long is Jammeh in office?

I must say admit that I am one of those who believe that a corrupt public service official should be thrown into a spitting VULCANO, without mercy. But this should be done by the state, through LAW and JUSTICE, and Not by ONE MAN.

PS
Lamin, Please do not degrade our President by reducing his names. You either forgot or omitted the names Pateh, Peter or James. Next time add them.