GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:41:08 -0500
GFA Protests to CAF, El-hadj Diouf 'apologises

http://allafrica.com/stories/200306110011.html

The Daily Observer (Banjul)
NEWS
June 11, 2003
Posted to the web June 11, 2003
Banjul

The Gambia Football Association (GFA) has written a formal letter of
protest to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) over the behaviour
of the Senegalese FA, supporters and security officials.

The letter written by GFA secretary, Jammeh Bojang, was sent to CAF
secretary general in Cairo, Egypt on Sunday, June 8. The full letter is
reprinted below:

"In conformity with Article 20 Section 1.3 of the regulations of the XXIVth
African Cup of Nations, the Executive Committee of The Gambia Football
Association has directed me to write and launch a formal protest on the
behaviour of the Senegalese national team supporters, security officers,
officials of the Senegalese Football Association and the public at large
which was reported to and witnessed by the Match Commissioner Mr. Linus Mba
during the return leg (Senegal/ Gambia) match in and around the Leopold
Sedat Senghor Stadium in Dakar on Saturday June 7th 2003.

"In consonance with Article 20 (1) of the Regulations, we shall forward to
you in the next few days a detailed documentation of the numerous incidents
particularly the lack of protection of The Gambia national team players,
officials and supporters before, during and after the match. As required by
the stipulated Article, we have requested our bank to pay the protest fee
of US $600 (six hundred Dollars) that has been value dated at date.

"We hope that after receiving the detailed documentation on our protest,
justice and fair play would take its due course for the good of our dear
game - football.

Whilst looking forward to your co-operation, please accept our highest
sporting regards."

Meanwhile, Senegalese striker El-hadj Diouf, who has come under heavy
criticism in both The Gambia and Senegal for igniting the trouble that
occurred during the football match and ensued later, appeared on the
Senegalese TV Monday night along with midfielder Khalilou Fadiga and GFA
president Gabbi Sosseh.

Diouf who had told the Senegalese press before Saturday the game "would not
be football but war" said he regretted any trouble his words might have
served as catalyst. "I am sorry if what I said was misinterpreted. What I
meant meant was that it would be a tough football encounter," Diouf said.

The controversial Senegalese striker whose had a record of disciplinary
problems at both his former club in France and English premier side,
Liverpool, acknowledged the ground-swell of moral support through e-mail
and telephone calls that Gambians in the UK and Europe gave him when he
moved to Liverpool.

Analysts in Dakar said Diouf's outburst was provoked by the Senegalese
media's repetition of statements made in the Gambian press by Gambian
players that Senegal would be beaten.

During the telecast, Fadiga said whatever happened Gambians and Senegalese
would remain one people and that he himself mentored Gambian star Ebou
Sillah when he went to FC Brugge as a young boy. Fadiga who also spoke in
English in an apparent direct address to Gambians said even if Senegal were
to qualify for CAN 2004 in Egypt, they would be representing 'Senegambia'
and that if they were to win the cup, they could bring it to Banjul.

However, many Gambians would regard TV broadcast as a lame effort at damage
control and they blame the Senegalese soldiers as much as they blame Diouf
and his team-mates for the trouble that has left scores of Gambians injured
and vexed.

----
Copyright © 2003 The Daily Observer. All rights reserved. Distributed by
AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com).