GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:51:17 +0200
Mr. Sidi Saneh, Kalilu Camara

I understand what you are asking and saying. I will try to give a hort
comment.
The problem  f.in. here in Denmark is, that those who are in favor of
supporting Africa to help itself in the way you are suggesting, are a bit
afraid that you will at the same time say, that we  put up the rules, that
we will direct, control and dictate.

Very many out here don´t like to see such a scenario, you blaming us that we
want to dictate, that our money is used to make you  dance to our music of
"neo-imperialism".

There are NGO´s who believe that we could do as you suggest. But there are
also many ordinary people out here, who don´t think that you deserve
dept-relief ! (mostly the argument is lack of leadership, the corruption,
the wars, etc. because that´show most media introduce Africa for us)

I have with my own eyes seen the african continents enormous potentials. For
many of us it´s only a question that you get started, that we give you fair
trade, help to establish the infra-structure, help to fight the very many
diseases on the continent, and that we try to help you get all your educated
persons back and in jobs back home, instead of trying to keep you here for
our own benefit. We want the dept-relief to be followed by more money, so it
become an economic "booster", from where most of the african countries can
run and take care of themselves. If we boot your economi, industry, etc. you
will get a kick-start, which will also leads to attracting private
investments. Many politicians and NGO out here have also an emotional and at
the same time  rational attitude, that we simply can not have a continent
"left behind". Both morally and for our own future survival we need you,
your human and other ressources.

Comment from Asbjørn Nordam