GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 22:38:52 GMT
Karamba,

I concur with you totally. This shameless notion of acquiescing to the whims
of this criminal government by legal professionals should cease. And there
is precedence for such a principled stance in recent global history. It's
only a few months ago that the Chief Justice of Pakistan defied the Military
junta ruling that nation by refusing to swear allegiance to them. The old
man did the honorable thing: he resigned rather than serve an illigitimate
and barbaric regime! That single act has been applauded the world over. I
watched an interview of the Pakistani HOS just yesterday in which he was
playing down that defiance. But who is he fooling?

But back to your point, it's about time Gambian lawyers as a group stand up
for the people. Lawyer Joof's protest against the ID Card detentions at
Denton Bridge last year is a step in the right direction. However, one would
hope to see a more assertive role from this group. There's nothing
surprising about some of them willingly carrying out illegal orders. They
have a fine phrase for it in the Gambia: "doing my duty!" We just have to
pray for our nation Karamba, 'cause as long as some people and their
immediate families are alright, they don't just give a hoot what happens to
anybody else.

Saul.