GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ceesay, Soffie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:23:30 -0700
Hello folks,

Good morning.  On Monday, June 23rd, the Ralph J. Bunch International
Affairs Center at Howard University, gave an audience to the government of
The Gambia to make a case for trading and investing in the country.  The
meeting room could hold no more than 100 people, if that at all.  The
majority in attendance were African American students who were at Howard for
the summer to participate in the Charles B. Rangel International Affairs
program and this was to be an opportunity for them to ask questions of an
African head of state, ranging from economic to human rights issues.  These
were very bright young men and women.

Saul Khan was at the door when I got there and for the next hour, along with
Pa Samba, we stood in the sun, denied entry to the building.  We were
allowed to enter only when two ladies, former peace corps volunteers, came
to the door and were allowed to go in.  I turned to my brothers and said,
"let's go in."  We could not take our bags or perfume with us, we were told,
although there were others who were allowed to take their bags in.  My
brother, Ous Mbenga, was denied entry and when he demanded to know why,
campus security surrounded him and told him to leave the building.

The brochures were handed out to those in attendance, leaving the rest of
the information on the literature table.  We soon found out, after Pa Samba
was asked to come out of the room, that we could no longer give them out.
The gentleman emcee told the audience to throw away the literature that was
given to them because "it was not part of the program", he repeated this 3
times - no one threw anything away.

Yahya Jammeh was a no-show at the forum where he was to educate people about
how Gambia's economic future can be transformed through trade and
investment.  Jammeh and the AFPRC's position was well represented by Momodou
Sallah and Babacar Blaise Jagne, I have to say.  They made a strong case for
why trade and investment will solidify the notion of Gambia being "the
gateway to West Africa".  It was stated that the Gambia has satisfied all of
the criteria necessary to gain access to the U.S. market, one of which was
the government's "commitment to improving the quality of life of Gambians."
They talked about our independent national assembly, how 8 years ago we had
10 doctors compared to the 300 that we now have in the country, the numerous
tractors that the government purchased for our farmers since farming is the
country's economic backbone.  Mr Sallah also used two of those three
infamous words that ushered into history the "soldiers with a difference" -
transparency and accountability - to explain how serious his government was.
Gambia also, has met the "convergence criteria" for the new monetary zone to
which Gambia aspires to belong, according to Mr. Sallah.

In attendance for the government were Mr. Grey Johnson, Manlafy Jarju,
Blaise Jagne, Momodou Sallah, Lena Manga Sanyang, Mustapha Njie, Mr. Samba,
Kinsa Jawara Njie, Ansumana Ceesay, and Mr. Manga.

I will send in another write up on the question and answer session.  Pa
Samba and Saul, pitch in with your re-collections.

Soffie