GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:00:50 EDT
Dear Mr Manjang,
    I had just managed to read your brilliant response to Mr Martin Wolf's
exciting piece which I had earlier forwarded to the List.
    Even though I share the conviction of Mr Wolf's central conceit in that
piece, I find his views too sweeping vis-a-vis his contention that NGO's are
anti growth. Unwittingly yes some of them are. By being militantly
anti-capitalist and anti science, it is very questionable as to whether they
wish the same economic success in the West that funds their operations in
developing nations to exist in the latter. Most of these NGO's are burrowing
holes for the discredited international old Left and anarcho-Marxists hell
bent on anti-capitalist campaigns. By invoking on the old crannies of Marxist
battle cries of anti-capitalism, most NGOs are unwittingly playing into the
hands of anti growth and progress groups. Hence it is safe to contend that
some NGOs are indeed anti growth.
    My reason for writing to you is to commend your insightful contribution
and to ask your permission to forward your opinion to Mr Wolf. I'm sure he
will find it intriguing as I did. He might even be provoked into replying
your contentions. By the way he host forums on the Financial Times
interactive service at the http://www.ft.com/martinwolf. I'm sure if the
opportunity presents itself, you might visit other discussions that he had
hosted there archives of which are still there an accessible.
Once again thanks for your intervention.
Hamjatta Kanteh

hkanteh