GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:18:17 +0100
many people continue to be disabled or incapacitated by torture
The Chieftancy of Military Intelligence (CMI) and the Violent Crime Crack Unit (VCCU) are the leading offenders in this respect. These institutions have however changed their methods of torture turning instead to methods that leave no evidence such as causing knee injuries, according to the Chair of the Uganda Human Rights Commission.

Personally I'm horrified when I hear or read about such testimonies. It is clear that Uganda is not respecting its Constitution in this respect. Article 24 says that "no person shall be subjected to any form of torture, cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment."