GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 01:27:48 EDT
Kejau,

Rioting and destruction are not, under normal circumstances a regular part of
any elections, and we certainly hope that Gambian elections will not be one
of the exceptions.
There are national guardsmen in many countries, and in many instances, they
are called upon to protect the people, and not to intimidate and shoot them,
so this is really not the point. The question here is that these soldiers
demonstrated exactly what you yourself have stated here :You said:
"All will agree that the April 11 incident was the lack of professionalism
expected of
 our forces"

The concern is that the combination of this lack of professionalism displayed
by some elements of the force as in this case, coupled with blind obedience
to orders from an authority bent on maintaining power at all cost, results in
a very dissastrous situation like the one of April 10 & 11, and giving these
forces any policing powers just adds fuel to the fire. I also doubt that very
many people will believe that these powers were granted to these guys for the
purpose of averting any chaos in the subregion as you seem to allude to.
You also said: "let us not think our secutrity men do not deserve to live". I
do not know from where in my statements you drew this conclusion.
additionally, you stated:

"Thanks for readingand please reflect before insulting me, no worries, if you
choose to."

I think perhaps you have mistaken me for someone else if you are expecting me
to insult you because you have expressed your opinion.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 6/23/00 11:09:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,