GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deyda Hydara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 19:31:05 +0000
>From:<[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

Good Day Gassama and Happy New Year

I beg to contribute in this exchange about the media.
In saw your response to Ebrima Sillah whom I commend for coming out very
adequately to straighten the records as far as the situation of the media is
concerned. I need not come back to the points he had already elaborated.
must commend Ebrima who began his journalistic career with The Point
newspaper and we are proud of his dexterity in the job. As he rightly said
all the newspapers save The Independent were in existence in the First
Republic. The increase in the private media scene can only be seen in the
electronic media namely with the advent of public TV, West Coast Radio, Sud
FM and City Limit Radio.
He was also right with regards to Decree 70/71, which is far from favouring
a press freedom climate in the country. Instead as the Daily Observer
constantly remind us it is a Damocles sword hanging over the existence of
newspapers. You asked why it was not used against us. That question should
be addressed to the powers that be not us. But we can assure that we know
why.
We also have the Media Commission whose provisions were doctored following
the contribution of the GPU to suit its repressive outlook.
You also asked about the number of journalists who had suffered in the hands
of the old regime.
If my memory serves me right, Mr. Ba Trawally was unfortunately tried for an
article he wrote in the 70s about the farm of Barajally and was convicted to
five years imprisonment.
Mr. Trawally won the enviable title of the first Gambian journalist jailed
in this country since independence.
In 1980, late Dixon Colley was tried for an article dubbed Till Dooms day.
But he left the court a free man.
Baboucarr Gaye was also detained for interviewing Kukoi at Radio Gambia the
day of the coup which for us journalists deserved a Prize and not detention.
Sana Manneh won his case against the ministers he labelled as corrupt in The
Torch. The appeal did not yield any change and Manneh went home a free man.
I was detained by the NSS and all the big men of the service then
interrogated me for hours and released me afterwards. I also had the
pleasure of re-experiencing the same treatment in March 1995 with the NIA
which makes me the only journalist in this country detained and interrogated
by our two security agencies something which  am very proud of as it
demonstrates our consistency. We are for the Gambian people.
As Ebrima and all of us made abundantly clear on various instances locally,
the two situations are not comparable; we had a civilian regime with its
democratic outlook and a transitional military government that relied on a
state of siege to silence its critics. The Second Republic inherited that
anti-press posture and we suffered and continue to suffer  from it.
Now, on taxes. I am surprised to 'hear' you say other businesses are paying
more taxes than the media.
Compare what is comparable!
How could you compare media houses with 'normal' businesses; ours is a semi-
social and semi- business occupation and that must be taken into
consideration. The services we render to both the people and the government
are not paid for; they are free of charge as a result of an empowerment
granted us by the very Constitution of the Republic. In other countries like
Senegal, Parliament votes an annual  subvention of D 100, 000 to each
private media house to help strengthen the enlightenment process carried out
by the media.
Therefore, we are no businesses. And in fact, in the First Republic
newspaper taxation was unheard of.
I hope these few lines have answered your questions.
Thank you for your attention