GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2010 21:59:14 -0400
Hmmm, wasn't this the same guy (Muhammad Drammeh) who posted something
about "religious tolerance" a few days back?  I'm guessing this
doesn't extend to the political realm?  Listen, no matter how much I
may dislike Darboe or Halifa or whoever's politics, if voting for them
as part of a united opposition in 2011 (not that I can vote but let's
just put that aside for now) means that Jammeh is dislodged from
power, count me first in line on Election Day!

However, it seems that some, if not many, do not feel this way.  I
mean, we're now haggling over what did or didn't happen, or who was or
wasn't invited, to the just concluded UDP Congress.  And if we keep
going the way we're going, we'll be sitting here the morning after
Election Day, once again pointing fingers, and placing blame, and
well, doing pretty much the same things we did in 1996, 2001, and
2006.

Accusing people of being tribalist, power-hungry, etc., isn't going to
do much to make them want to unite with them so stop it please!  If
you don't like Darboe, or Sallah, or Bah, or whoever, you'd at least,
hopefully, agree with me that if the opposition were to unite, you'd
at least agree that voting for them and seeing them legitimately
elected would be preferrable to Jammeh, wouldn't you?  Or would you
not?

Because me thinks that there is a sizable portion of at least the
online Gambian electorate/community who'd rather continue to see
Jammeh in power, with its attendant atrocities and corruption and
mismanagement, than see Darboe or Sallah, etc., ascend to the
Presidency.  And I find this to be sad, and that is putting it
extremely mildly!  You'd rather divide the opposition by continuing to
peddle the "Darboe is this" or "Darboe is that" etc., all the time
talking about you want a united opposition, when you know darn well
all you are doing is making that goal ever harder to reach.

Let me put it like this, back in 2008 when Clinton and Obama were
fighting for the Democratic nomination, everyone knows how ugly it
got, however, had Clinton emerged the winner and won the Democratic
nomination instead of Obama, even though I really didn't like the way
Hillary Clinton ran her campaign, I'd still have voted for her in the
end, as much as I'd have hated to do so, and you know why?  Because
she would have been better than McCain, and God knows if seeing her in
office would mean that Sarah Palin would be nowhere near the
Presidency on November 5th, then I'd have been the first in line on
the first day of early voting to cast my vote for her.

And you know what? I have my many differences with Halifa Sallah and
PDOIS, however, if he were to garner the position of leader of a
united opposition, and of course assuming that I could vote in a
Gambian election, which, unless Jammeh gives me a phony voter's card I
can't at this point, I'd be the first one at my local polling station
to cast my vote for Sallah.  Why?  Because it means that Jammeh,
assuming that he would actually honor the result, would be gone, and
we could get to the long and arduous business of cleaning up the huge
mess that Jammeh has made of The Gambia.

I mean, everyone talked about Darboe being power hungry, etc., but
wasn't there something in the MOU that said that whoever would be
elected would only serve a five year term or something?  Then what is
the problem, then assuming that was the case, or would be the case, if
there were to be a united opposition?

Part of putting together a united opposition, with disparate parties
and platforms and outlooks on the ways to get things done, is learning
to compromise and learning to put your differences aside for the
common goal that you're working for.  And if the various opposition
parties and their supporters can't learn to do that, then all of this
talk about united opposition this, and united opposition that, and
articles on "the way forward", etc., is all just going to be a waste
of time.

All right, I've said my piece, am off to relive my high school/college
years by listening to 80s and 90s  and early 00s hip hop and R&B.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Ginny