GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Demba Baldeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2012 20:18:13 -0700
GMC DISSOCIATES ITSELF FROM G6 LETTER TO THE AUTHORITIES

 Let me express that GMC is a founder member of The Group of 6
opposition Parties (otherwise known as G6). We shall remain engaged
within this voluntary framework, working with our colleagues in the
opposition. We have participated at all G6 sessions, and we intend to
continue to do so in the future. We have no intention of withdrawing
from G6 unless circumstances require a review of the relevance of our
continuing membership in the Group. If such a need emerged, we shall
not hesitate to act and make our views public.

 On the issue of the recent letter meant for the authorities on the
death penalty circulating online, GMC wishes to make it known crystal
clear that as much as we remain part of the G6 and ready to continue
to work on common issues, we do not subscribe to the contents of the
said letter. It does not carry our signature or endorsement. We have
no part to do with it.

 GMC had expressed its views publicly in the media and during
consultations with diplomatic representatives of the international
community on both the death penalty and the executions. We do not see
the logic of writing to the National Assembly or Yaya Jammeh again on
this issue. We view it as the victim engaging or seeking help from his
wicked tormentor. The letter does not bear our mark, and G6 does not
speak for GMC in this instance. GMC will not engage the regime on the
death penalty. Our contention is that the death penalty had legally
expired by effluxion of time fifteen years ago, and what happened on
the 27th of August 2012 was murder most foul. We shall continue to
work with Gambians at home and around the world, the international
community and the coalition of the willing in legitimately
accelerating the end of the brutal regime in Banjul, and subjecting it
to international justice.

Mai Ahmad Fatty

 GMC Leader
--