GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 22:01:31 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:30:26 -0700
From: Carol D. McRoberts <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [WASAN] Fw: [women-csd] Earth summit 'depends on heads of state'

FYI

> Earth summit 'depends on heads of state'
> By John Mason, Food and Rural Affairs Correspondent
> Financial Times; Aug 14, 2002
>

> The personal commitment of heads of state, rather than of cabinet
ministers,
> will be critical to the outcome of the summit on sustainable development
in
> Johannesburg this month, Nitin Desai, chief organiser of the United
Nations
> meeting, said yesterday.
>
> The success of the summit, which some fear could fail because of deep
> political divisions over its wide-ranging agenda, will be judged on
whether
> it increases pressure on governments and corporations to take more action
> over the international development and environment agendas, said Nitin
> Desai.
>
> Mr Desai told the FT yesterday that one severe weakness of the Rio summit
10
> years ago was its reliance on environment ministers, rather than heads of
> state, to implement agreements.
>
> Even so, Mr Desai was non-committal on speculation that President George
W.
> Bush would not attend the summit. "The US has yet to announce its
delegation
> and so it is best to wait and see. However, if he were to come it would be
> very welcome bonus."
>
> The summit, from August 26 to September 4, will attempt to reach agreement
> on issues as diverse as the role of globalisation to the increased use of
> renewable energy sources and desertification. The ambitious range of the
> agenda and divisions between rich and poor countries over trade-and-aid
> policies have already generated doubt about whether the summit can deliver
> results.
>
> Preparatory conferences failed to agree a final agenda, leaving continuing
> argument over issues such as the subsidy regimes of the US and European
> Union and levels of development aid.
>
> In preparation, the UN published a report yesterday on issues to be
> discussed, including water shortages affecting 40 per cent of the world's
> population and rising sea levels. Mr Desai rejected suggestions that the
US
> would try to weaken any agreements reached - a fear voiced by
> non-governmental organisations and some governments.
>

> This is a listserver set up by the CSD Women's Caucus, a global group of
women and men working on gender & sustainable development issues. It has
been established to circulate information in preparation for  the UN
Commission on Sustainable Development Sessions and Earth Summit 2002
(officially the World Summit on Sustainable Development, Johannesburg, South
Africa, Sept. 2002).
> To learn more about the CSD Women's Caucus activities, check the web-site
at www.earthsummit2002.org/wcaucus/csdngo.htm.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/Ey.GAA/DKgolB/TM

Next WASAN meeting is Wednesday, August 28, 2002. Location: Safeco Jackson Street Center, E Main between 23 &amp; 24, Suite 200, Seattle
7:00 pm Business meeting (everyone is welcome)
7:30 PM "Africa 101: The Diversity and Complexity of Africa." Everyone is welcome.

We usually meet the fourth Wednesday of the month. For a calendar of local Africa events see http://www.ibike.org/africamatters/calendar.htm .  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe send a message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a message to [log in to unmask] . All past postings are archived at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wa-afr-network