GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
mohamadu jawara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 22:02:41 EDT
FELLOW GAMBIANS:

After a week of ceaseless condemnation in cyber-space and other media
outlets of April 10 - 11 events in The Gambia, the captured young boys and
girls are facing the worse nightmare of their young lives. They laid down
their lives attempting to restore freedom and decency to the Gambian nation.
Against this backdrop, it would be unconscionable by any standard of measure
to allow these young folks to wallow in despair of deplorable prison
conditions without urgent assistance from our end to secure their release.
As this issue begins to take its natural course in receding into oblivion (a
typical Gambian trait), this promise I make to the school children in
custody : YOU CAN COUNT ON ME, I WILL NEVER ABANDONED YOU (I can only speak
for myself)! I hope that you find solace in that efforts are being made
diplomatically and in U.S. congress to secure your release immediately and
unconditionally. It's not up to Jammeh any more, this is what is going to
happen ... you will be freed.
On a personal note my friends, I'm heart sick to lament that the harmony and
peace that was a tradition in our country ceases to exist with the formation
of this obnoxious regime 6 years ago.  What is even more troubling to me is
the totality of the venom that has engulfed the hearts of our people brought
about by a determined efforts of a despot to clinch on to power
surreptitiously. The Gambia is a sick nation. What a tragedy!

MUSA BASSADI JAWARA
MARYLAND, U.S.A.