GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:35:07 +0100
Musa Jeng

My good brother kindly read Ebrima Sillah's posting on
what happened at YMCA HALL.
I am gobsmacked about the whole situation. These
unbanned politicians with the exception of OJ Jallow
kept quiet for 7 years. Rather than learning from that
period of silence, they have decided to create
confusion within the opposition camp. If there is a
split within the opposition beacuse of personal
reasons then surely we have handed over the Presidency
to Yahya Jammeh, for another 5 miserable years.

Comrade Jassey-Conteh

We need to hear from you about Dibba's decision not to
join forces with the other opposition parties. I am
finding it difficult to believe, but having said
Ebrima Sillah's report seems to be accurate. I only
hope Dibba and others could be convinced about the
dangers of splitting the opposition vote.

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi

--- Musa Jeng <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
Sanusi,

> My good friend, registering a political party is not
> mutually exclusive with forming a political
> alliance.
> Infact, it only make sense to register, and then by
> virtue of that existence, form an alliance with the
> other
> parties.
>
> Thanks
> Musa Jeng
>
> Sanusi Owens wrote:
>
> > Mariama
> >
> > Thanks for your wishful thinking. Unfortunately,
> the
> > news we are receiving from home does n't look for
> > United Opposition. It has been reported in the
> press
> > that PPP and NCP have began submitting  their
> papers
> > for registration.(SEE www; ffdig.org.)One would
> have
> > expected these unbanned politicians to emulate
> Assan
> > Musa Camara's decision not to register until after
> the
> > Presidential Elections but to my disappointment, I
> am
> > smelling a dead rat here.
> >
> > It is on those grounds that I shall not criticise
> > Foroyaa for issuing such publication. The truth of
> the
> > matter is that some of our politicians are
> > underestimating  the struggle to unseat Jammeh.
> > Believe me, it is not going to be an easy one to
> start
> > with. The unbanned political parties should take
> note
> > that they can't solely rely on past support
> acquired
> > during the first republic to unseat Jammeh.
> Instead,
> > they will have to convince the Gambian electorate,
> > that they  have a better political agenda for the
> > Gambia.  Since there are already 4 political
> parties
> > in the opposition, one would have expected these
> > politicians to join forces with them in
> coordinating a
> > programme for an alliance against APRC, but it
> seems
> > the politics of ego is certainly undermining our
> hopes
> > for a united opposition, I hope not.
> >
> > The challenge lies on us now to start making
> petitions
> > to the unbanned political parties about the need
> for a
> > united opposition or else chaos for The Gambia as
> > Jammeh would win, hands down.
> >
> > UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL
> >
> > Have a wonderful day
> >
> > Sanusi.
> >
> > --- Mariama Diop <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Hamjatta,
> > > Thanks for your constructive analysis.  Your
> > > suggestions could  definitely
> > > help reinforce efforts geared towards forging a
> > > stronger Opposition alliance
> > > and defeating Yaya.
> > >
> > > warmly,
> > > mariama

> [...]