GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 17:10:59 EDT
Hamjatta, I apologize for being too tied up earlier on to do justice to your
brilliant piece. I had to attend to some private matters. I would especially
want to comment on your assessment of the disarray in the opposition against
Yaya. Hamjatta. I detect a very sinister fact here. Most people that come
out to attack tangible means of getting rid of Yaya and in return
hallucinate about nonexistent election victories are after some very selfish
political interests. It is called tactical political positioning. They want
to be in control of things. I say to them, feel free to take control. But
get rid of Yaya before another April massacre. These people are not
condemning advocacy of civil disobedience or coups because they are
concerned for the lives of innocent Gambians. If they were that protective
of innocent Gambians, they will get rid of Yaya when he massacred 15
children in broad daylight. They would have killed all the July 22 Movement
militants that ambushed the UDP supporters. They would have raised hell
about the constant abductions. Instead what do they do? Like all side-kicks,
they cannot think for themselves. They wait until their so-called leaders
come up with some reactionary and unworkable ideas and then they chime in.
Am beginning to lose patience with these hypocrites and their selfish
motives. These are the very people that gleefully stayed on the sidelines on
July 22, 1994 hoping that the banning of popular politicians and the removal
of Jawara (by unconstitutional means) will ensure their rise to power. When
Yaya did not play to their selfish tunes, they vowed to distrust and
sabotage anyone that genuinely wants to get rid of Yaya. They distrust us
because they are afraid that they cannot use us to do their dirty work for
them. Well, we are more law-abiding, patriot and democratic than they are.
We consistently opposed Yaya. We have a genuine desire to return our country
to normalcy. Hamjatta, I agree with you that these people leave us with no
option but to conclude that they want the status quo to continue. Do you
hear any of these morons doing something about the indefinite suspension of
the November elections by a mental midget like Saja Taal (independent from
the IEC). These prophets of doom denounce the use of violence against Yaya,
yet they sit by and watch the beast unleash brute force against innocent
Gambian children. How many lives have been lost in a military coup organized
by professional soldiers in The Gambia? How many of the more than 100
million Nigerians lost their lives in coups organized by Nigerian generals?
How many people died in the recent coup in Ivory Coast? Contrast these
figures with the number of lives Yaya has taken. So let people have the
decency to come out and say what they are really scared of. They should stop
this crap about us wanting to kill innocent Gambians. We currently have a
genocide going on. Do people suggest we fold our hands and allow that to
continue because we cannot guarantee who is going to win a free and fair
elections after Yaya? These cynics will not deter us. Let them keep dreaming
about legal niceties when it suits them. Hamjatta, to me, this is no longer
about naivete. I believe we have in our midst people that are in this for
their own selfish political motives. People that prefer to deal with Devil
Yaya because they do not know if they are going to do well in a free and
fair elections after Yaya. If we were to follow the legal logic of these
people, there would never be war. If the Allies had said to themselves that
it is contrary to international law to invade another country, then the
Americans would never enter into the second world war. They would leave
Hitler to ravage Europe. You see how absurd this logic is? If the Americans
followed strict international law, there would have been no genocide trials
because the Americans would not have gone to Europe in the first place.
Adherence to strict international law would have meant leaving Yugoslavia
alone while that dictator continue the ethnic cleansing. Coming back to
Gambia, Yaya already stacked the deck. He virtually obliterated all legal
avenues to get rid of him. So what do our legal fanatics say we do? Follow
the law and remove Yaya. There is no law that can be used to remove him. If
you doubt me, try invoking the constitutional provisions that say that
parliament can remove a deranged president. Very few Gambians now doubt that
Yaya is not mentally well. Try convincing Yaya and his supporters in the
parliament that the bozo ought to be removed. You will be the one that will
be admitted in Campama or buried six feet deep. Look what recently happened
to the politicians that tried impeaching Yaya on the crude oil scandal. Yaya
supporters would not even allow them to talk about the matter in parliament.
I did not hear any of these people in 1994 agitating that Yaya and his bunch
of bandits ought to be tried for treason for overthrowing a legally elected
government. The first thing Yaya did was to suspend that constitution and
made a mockery of the laws these people are worshipping now. He continues to
mock us by breaking the law everyday. It is foolish to leave him there
because we do not want to break the law. It is called unilateral
disarmament. Hamjatta, I read somewhere recently that if you have an IQ that
is more than 20 points higher than the next guy, you will not be able to
effectively communicate with that guy. Am beginning to believe that if there
is a barometer that measures decency, then if one reaches a certain level of
decency, one will find it very hard to moralize with people at the lower end
of the spectrum.
KB