GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 11:39:55 -0400
Suntou, I do not want to believe a Manding Mori will fall for that but
the story and many others - fables, morals or pure fabrications are
worth the time of our scholars.
If you ask me the story is very revealing in that it happened is Bintang
(a Portuguese trading post/settlement), between Bakary Nyominko
/Kassongko (Sere - believed to be the first to settle the Niumi), and
Masane Ceesay (supposedly a not so religious Mandingka marabou/trader).
Was Masane's death the case of beauty and the beast? Did the lady killed
monster Masane? Was it that he could not be saved by his Muslim Allah
from  the powers  of traditionalist Fulbe's talisman? Or perhaps it all
goes to show that the epic battle between good and evil was not only
fought in Hollywood /Disney movies? Where are the scholars?

Malanding