GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
sulayman jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:18:55 PDT
Ebrima,

Thanks to Colly and KB for very intresting postings on the Makalo issue. I
was not surprised by Kante's revelation. Before I left The Gambia, rumours
were doing the rounds that Makalo was murdered. At that time, I do not
remember any official statement cearing the air as they normally do. The
rumour was given more strength when Makalo's family claimed in the
newspapers that they did not hear from Makalo after he disappeared. Every
right thinking individual knows that it is utter foolishness for Makalo to
run away with D100,000 as the government statement alleged. I mean where
would this amount atke Makalo. It isn't worth sacrificing your family and
above all your motherland for. But everyone in The Gambia knows that this is
a government of liars. So all good meaning and reasonable Gambians do not
believe in half of what the government says.

Colly's description of IGP Badji is apt. He is an incompetent and ill
trained guy who is lucky to rise to such a high position in what should have
been an honourable and efficient force. I met Badji only once, that was when
I went to see a friend who was detained at the police headquarters in the
aftermath of April 10. But you could straight away see the stupid person in
his eye's. I do not know where he received his police training but he is a
disgrace to that academy. You are right Colly Jatta said Badji was around
the PIU barracks cum Monile Traffic when the fatal shots were fired. I do
not whether he has testified yet. He surely has a case to answer. That fool
and liar Osman incompetent Badji was also around at that time. So was Police
operations commander Sowe. Yet before the commission he denied that guns
were use, much more live bullets. Yet he admitted that he heard what sounded
like gun shots to him. When he was asked how blanks were then fired(he
admitted to that) if guns were no used, the idiot was left dumfounded.

For Pika Jallow of BUndung, that man is a joke. He thinks he owns everything
in tThe Gambia. I remember when we went to welcome Kofi Anan at the airport.
On our way back he attempted to force us to abandon our bus because that bus
should take the july 22 movement people first. Yes july 22 movement is still
very much alive! Most of their demented and emty head thugs are the people
responsible for these harrasments and some abductions.

I also remember the govt statement on th arrest and death of Lt Sanneh and
Manneh respectively. Sanneh was arrested from his home (actually in bed with
his wife; sorry for intruding his privacy) when he was supossed to be
leading a coup that night. Manneh was murdered in cold blood. How can there
be a shoot out and Manneh killed, without any of his arresters getting so
much as a scratch. Or was Manneh firing in the air when others were firing
at him. Everyone both within and outside the army knows Manneh is a master
marksman.

I am not sure that elections will sweep Yaya and his cohorts away. They have
often said that they will never loose elections and that even if peolple do
no vote for them, devils will vote for them.

We all have a stake in this. No one knows whose relation will be the next
victim. So the struggle should continue.

Thanks every one

Sulayman