GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 23:32:10 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From:   [log in to unmask] [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Wednesday, November 03, 1999 12:10 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Virus Alert

|Dear End Users:                                                          |
|The example below is that of a hoax regarding a virus.  Hoaxes and hypes |
|are the wild rumors, fact-free virus scares, and outright fabrications   |
|that seem to circulate like the common cold.  If you should encounter    |
|e-mail that should consist of this type of content, do not contribute to |
|the problem by forwarding the note to your colleagues.  Although your    |
|intentions may be good, you are actually contributing to the problem.    |
|Check the following Website to determine the validity of these types of  |
|notes.                                                                   |
|http://w3.virus.ers.ibm.com                                              |
|Do not take it upon yourself to report these virus related problems to   |
|the center.  Report the problem to MIS.  MIS will take appropriate action|
|to report and/or contain the problem.                                    |
|MIS has established procedures to help you deal with a virus (Document   |
|link: Database 'DMS Technical:  MIS', View 'Documents\All Approved       |
|Documents', Document 'Dealing with a Virus').  Please refer to(Document  |
|link: Database 'DMS Technical:  MIS', View 'Documents\All Approved       |
|Documents', Document 'Dealing with a Virus')(Document link: Database 'DMS|
|Technical:  MIS', View 'Documents\All Approved Documents', Document      |
|'Dealing with a Virus')                                                  |
|http://atlweb.ibmus2.ibm.com/dms/dmsmisop.nsf/WebDocs/MIS+Homeor         |
|http://w3.virus.ers.ibm.com for more information.                        |
|EXAMPLE OF A HOAX!                                                       |
| Subject:      New Virus Information                                          |
|>                                                                        |
|> > This is VERY SERIOUS!!!  Please forward to everyone you know...they  |
|> > will be grateful.  There is a virus out now being sent to people via |
|> > email..it is called the A.I.D.S. VIRUS.  It will destroy your memory,|
|> > sound, card and speakers, your drive and it will infect your mouse or|
|> > pointing devices well as your keyboards making it so that you can't  |
|> > type and it will not register on the screen. It self terminates only |
|> > after                                                                |
|> > it eats 5MB of hard drive space & will delete all programs.  It will |
|> > come                                                                 |
|> > via E-mail called "OPEN:  VERY COOL"  DELETE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!       |
|> > IMMEDIATELY.  It will basically render your computer useless.  PASS  |
|THIS                                                                     |
|> > MESSAGE ON QUICKLY & TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS possible!                  |
|> >                                                                      |
|> > Very urgent must read  please- if you receive an e mail titled "WIN A|
|> > HOLIDAY",  DO NOT OPEN IT.  It will erase everything on your hard    |
|drive.                                                                   |
|> > Forward this letter out to as many people as you can.  This is a new,|
|> > very malicious virus and not many people know about it.  This        |
|> > information was announced yesterday morning from Microsoft.          |
|George Sarr                                                              |
|Lead Technical Advisor-(Mobility Group)                                  |
|IBM Global Services                                                      |
|kennesaw, GA                                                             |