GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:46:49 EDT
Abdou,

I'm glad you are amongst the few who read wisdom in Dampha's enthusiasm for
Jawara's return to the Gambia. For heaven's sake Dampha never said Jawara
ought to be the presidential candidate - as if that were possible now; given
the legal bottlenecks! - of any party. Rather, Dampha recognises what
Jawara's wealth of political experience and fame can do to help make those
all-important votes to come out in the October elections. In a nutshell,
Jawara will merely complement the noble efforts of the current cadre of
Opposition leadership. This is the simple point Dampha painstakingly sought
to tell his agitators. Fancy now people in their lust for revenge against
Jawara and the PPP distorting the whole picture with non sequitur arguments.

I will repeat again: Dampha was NOT for a minute suggesting a Jawara
presidency; rather, having recognised the expediency involved in making
voters coming out en masse to vote in October, Dampha is simply suggesting
that Decree 89 politicians, because of their experience, ought to be
incorporated in the scheme of things to ensure a United Opposition victory.
Now, in the aftermath of the Kiang East and Baddibu Central by-elections,
there was a body of opinion on Gambia-L that contended that voter-apathy was
what made the Opposition to lose the day. If this was indeed the case, does
it not make political sense to ask of those sincere Decree 89 politicians -
who have it in them to sell well the anti- APRC message in every nook and
cranny of the Gambia - to complement the efforts of the current cadre of
Opposition leadership? This has always been the Dampha's contention. But
thanks to uneducated and knee-jerk interpretations, a flotsam and jetsam of
unrelated anti- PPP rhetoric is surfacing and having a field day. With such a
mentality, our task of liberating the Gambia is not made any easier.

Abdou, i always look forward to your educated interpretations and analysis of
complicated issues. I hope in moments like these, you will ride in town and
add your voice to ours in what can only be described as a very hostile
environment for political moderation and pragmatism.

All the best,

Hamjatta Kanteh