GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fatoumata <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:53:49 +0200
May his soul rest in perfect peace!!!

Gambia's Salsa Maestro Passes Away
* Tuesday** 13th November** 2007*

 By Pap Saine

Ousman Njie, fondly referred to as Boy Njie, The Gambia's undisputed Salsa
maestro died on Sunday and was buried yesterday at the time of going to
press.

His friends and colleagues speak glowingly of his hard work and commitment
to the promotion of the music industry in this country.

 Excerpts.

Ebou Touray, a childhood friends of the late Njie's and band leader during
his early days in music, says: "We formed the musical group Bag of Fame,
under Super Eagles Band in 1968. We left Bag of Fame in 1969 and joined Bai
Janha a talented Guitarist to form Lovers Band, which was divided in 1970.
It was after that that the late Mustapha John of Lasso Wharf asked us to
form a new band called Magadaan. After some years, we had another Band
called Mossem."

Alhagie Kebbeh, the manager of Mossem Band, says the band was formed with
some Senegalese musicians but it is one hundred per cent Gambians. "We
brought back Ebou Touray, Charles Campbell, Petit Njie, Leon Prom, Moussa
Nying, Bamba Lie, and produced a cassette named after the U 17, two other
singles and a song called Isatou," he says.

Lie Ngum, a veteran musician and Boy Njie's elder brother, says: "Boy Njie
was 59 years old and had four children. He was devoted and committed to
Salsa music; he had aspirations and was very hardworking for the progress
and advancement of music in The Gambia. On behalf of the family, we share
the support and condolences extended by Gambians and friends abroad. We will
miss him profoundly."

Bai Janha, a famous Guitarist, says, "Boy Njie was a star, a very good
entertainer who was devoted, honest, jovial.

He struggled very hard in his musical career. He will be missed by all. We
are the old boys; he was one of the veterans around us. May his soul rest in
peace. We have played music on many occasions. Boy Njie was our ambassador
in Salsa music. I got to know more about him when we played a clip for GRTS.
He was a pious man and a gentleman."

Cara Jagne describes him thus: "Boy Njie was a friend of mine of more than
25 years. I knew him through Ambassador Bammy Jagne. He was my elder, and
was a renowned contributor to the development of music in The Gambia.
Oussou Njie Senor remembers as "a fine artiste. His group 'Bag of Fame'
contributed a lot to Gambian music."

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい