GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
omar joof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 05:49:42 +0000
Mr Ebou Jallow,
I understand that you were at one point the spokesperson of the AFPRC, which
responsibility without doubt, should have given you ample opportunity to
know the regime's policies and insider dealings. I am actually convinced
that you can at anytime represent the AFPRC/APRC,since you have never
resigned from both the council and party. On the other hand, I dont think
you can fairly represent the opposition since you have never been known to
belong to that side of the political equation.
Besides, in all your interventions up to this point, you have been
mentioning the opposition vis-a-via the Jammeh regime as if we are two
opposing enemy camps. This is erroneous and dangerously misleading. The
fundamental reason for the existence of the opposition can be found in
relevant provisions of the constitution of the country. It is therefore
totally erroneous for anyone to argue that the opposition has been
precipitated by hatred of Yaya Jammeh. I insist that your basic assumption
as indicated above is also dangerously misleading since it is the APRC that
believes in the use of brute force. I wont blame you for not knowing this
because by all indications, you have never attampted to engage them in
constructive dialogue.
Furthermore, I have most regretably learnt that you left the Gambia with fat
sums of tax payers money. Our people are going through tremendous socio
economic difficulties according to reports emanating from government
sources. In the prevailing circumstances, it would be very difficult for
Gambians to forget any butut stolen from national coffers, and I cant
imagine that they have forgotten your case. Ineffect, I am convinced that
Gambians both at home and in the diaspora would not take you and your words
seriously.
Your assertion that the opposition cannot overcome  APRC is not the least
informed. Perhaps you know and were at one time party to the dirty tricks
Jammeh and his surrogates play. But as long as they are dirty tricks played
by people, other persons will definely get to know about them, and do
something about them. You seriously erred in assumming that Gambians are a
people who can all be fooled all the time. I think you should be reminded
that notwithstanding all the pain and humiliation we have suffered at the
bloody hands of your Yaya and his cohorts, we are still a people with a
sense of honour.
Finally, you have consistently mentioned reconciliation, and even made
mention of Yaya's desire for such development. But let me draw your
attention to
his recent pronouncements which seriously contradict your assertion. If Yaya
was interested in reconciliation, he could have used his July 22nd speech to
initiate such moves. I need not tell you that his derogative attacks on the
opposition were not only clownish and eccentric, but be rest assured that
such poor public utterances will continue to have negative impacts on his
image, as they are not expected of a head of state.
Omar Joof.