GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:30:08 EDT
Mr. Sanneh and Conteh.
     Thank you for the postings on Africa's role in the Global Market village.
I have to agree with Mr. Sanneh in stating that our biggest setback in the
market place is the degree of uncertainty that exists in our environments.
      I disagree with the issue of ignorance. Multinational Corporation today
have obligations to their stockholders to be profitable and viable in
environments
that fosters great growth potentials.  I can understand Mr. Conteh's
frustration
with his company's reluctance to take up venture capital initiatives in our
continent,
as Africans we have good intentions for our continent but indifferent to the
socioeconomic environment that is required for a company to be viable.
      Lastly, I want to thank Mr. Sanneh for his personal engagement with
inquiry to
his position in the struggle. I will not advocate that ones choice in a
political paradigm
is necessarily wrong neither will I attempt to dictate ones role in a
struggle. If the Dr. Sanneh's
 and the Mr. X's and the Mrs. Y's all decide to hide behind the code of
conduct of
their organization's while failing to publicly condemn dictators like the one
that lives in our
back yard, then the future of our continent is not clear.
      What Mr. Conteh and others are concerned about if I am not mistaken, is
the silent role that some of our great minds have taken towards this
struggle. If Gambian intellectuals can stop addressing the struggle with
colorful rhetoric and take a position in the struggle then we will begin to
make leaps and bounds towards democracy.
       The issue here is that the political environment in the Gambia is
unstable, unsafe, and dangerous for its citizens. Fact; people are being
murdered, the press is being harassed and the freedom of our people is being
compromised. To take a neutral stand, like the position PDOIS has adopted is
not only detrimental but counterproductive.
       In conclusion I would like to say that in every organization, group,
corporation, religion and movement there are leaders and members. If we
cannot identify leaders and a common theme to fight the oppressive government
of Gambia, then we must abort the cyber unleashing of our political savvy on
the list.

Till next time have a great day.

Thanks.
Matarr.