GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alpha Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 20:38:24 +0200
                          Progress Report No.2

     Introduction

     In this report we wish to inform you about developments which
     have taken place since our last report to the list and put
     before you some of the ideas we, the co-ordinators, have
     discussed or mentioned in our exchanges, for your perusal and
     commentary. Following our last report in May, some comments
     and suggestions were sent to the list. These will be dealt
     with at the appropriate place in the report.

     To recapitulate, we identified two main aims for the Fund:
     1. To assist the Families of the massacre victims
     2. To assist in paying the legal bills of victims of human
     rights abuse

     The first is a gesture of solidarity and is humanitarian in
     nature, whereas the second constitutes an effort to contribute
     to uphold human rights and the rule of law in The Gambia. It
     was suggested that the Fund should be a permanent one, and as
     such, a co-ordinating committee on the ground was deemed
     imperative.

     Name of the Fund

     From the suggestions made in response to the call to find a
     name for the fund, THE APRIL MASSACRE MEMORIAL FUND, seemed
     most appropriate. The fund will therefore be so called.

     Progress made since the last report

     Distribution of cash

     An amount of $2,800 was sent for distribution to the families
     of the victims in The Gambia. Each family was to receive $200.
     Ancha Bala Gaye, the person responsible for co-ordinating the
     distribution of the money, collaborated with some reporters of
     "The Daily Observer" newspaper and their collective efforts
     led to the successful delivery of envelopes containing 2400
     Dalasis (equivalent to $200) to the following persons:

     1)      Kebba Sanyang, father of 3yr old Abdoulie Sanyang, Old
     Jewsuang;
     2)      Sainey Ginnyalley, Grandfather of Foday Mansally
     Manka, Tallinding;
     3)      Kebba Nyabally, father of deceased Sainey Nyabally,
     Brikama Ba Village;
     4)      Mbye Chune, father of deceased Momodou Lamin Chune, 3
     Jobe St. Serrekunda;
     5)      Bassiru Barrow, father of deceased Karamo Barrow, Ebo
     Town;
     6)      Joseph Carrol, father of deceased Regina Henika
     Carrol, 7 Grant Street;
     7)      Abdoulie Bojang, father of Lamin Bojang, Jambur
     Village;
     8)      Burama Badjie, father of Lamin Badjie, Talinding;
     9)      Malamin barrow, father of Omar Barrow, Dippakunda;
     10)    Baba Njie, father of Bakary Njie, Bakau New Town;
     11)    Marie Terese Ndey Sonko, mother of Emil Calisco Preira,
     New Jewsuang.

     The rest of the money is in Ancha's care. It was suggested to
     her that the family of the victim who died recently should be
     included in the list, as one of the dead bodies still remains
     unidentified.
     Speaking on behalf of the families, Mr. Mbye Chune indicated
     that they were thankful and encouraged by our effort.

     Co-ordinating committee in The Gambia

     Some of the contributions from list members seemed to suggest
     that there was a confusion between the co-ordinating committee
     on the ground and the lawyers with whom the Fund will work
     together. The idea behind the co-ordinating committee or
     representatives as they have been referred to at times, is to
     have people who will participate in managing the financial
     resources of the fund, receive applications from victims, seek
     legal advice and representation on their behalf etc. and
     report to the co-ordinating committee abroad. In other words,
     they will be the link between us, the victims and the lawyers.

     Mr. Emmanuel Joof and Mr. Mbye Chune have already given their
     consent to be members of the co-ordinating committee on the
     ground. Emmanuel Joof, a human rights lawyer, is a member of
     the Coalition of Lawyers for the defence of Human Rights and
     an employee of the " African Society for International and
     Comparative Law" based in The Gambia. In his work for the
     latter he deals precisely with victims of human rights abuse;
     giving advice and at times appearing in court on their behalf.
     Mbye Chune is a member of "The Committee of Parents of the
     April 10 and 11 Victims", COMPAV (see below). It is planed to
     include a GAMSU representative in the committee too.

     Mr. Sam Sarr of FOROYAA was also contacted. He made it clear
     that he would have liked to serve in this committee, but would
     rather refrain from doing so as a result of the objections
     which were raised on the List following his proposal. He
     would, however, be willing to serve in a private capacity, if
     requested.

     Partner organisations on the ground

     Among others, the following organisations which newly emerged
     in The Gambia, have been identified as useful partners to the
     Fund, as their work is directed towards similar goals:

     1. Coalition of Lawyers for the defence of Human Rights
     2. A Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) coalition of human
     rights concerns recently formed in The Gambia to enhance
     democracy, the rule of law and respect for the constitution.
     3. The Committee of Parents of the April 10 and 11 Victims,
     COMPAV.

     Contact has already been established with both the Coalition
     of Lawyers for the defence of Human Rights and The Committee
     of Parents of the April 10 and 11 Victims, COMPAV. As
     mentioned in the last report, henceforth referred to as
     progress report No.1, the Coalition of Lawyers fought
     successfully for the release of the students who were
     illegally held in custody and partly tortured, after the April
     10 and 11 events. This, they did at their own cost. We have
     been informed that they are willing to file civil suits for
     both the dead and the wounded, to not only claim damages, but
     also send a message that there are sanctions attached to
     irresponsible and illegal actions. We gathered from them that
     they will not charge any fees for representation. Our
     assistance will however be needed to cover filing fees (fees
     that have to be paid to file a case). Each case filed will
     cost about 500 Dalasis. Initially, an amount of about $5,000
     (five thousand dollars) was estimated to that effect. They
     also made it clear that they plan to forge ahead with or
     without our support!

     Present state of the account

     The state of the account is as follows:

     US account

     Up to the time of writing this report, contributions from
     individuals and groups in the US amount to $5,248.00. Proceeds
     from the T-shirt sales total $270, with some outstanding
     collections yet to be made. An interest of $5 was earned since
     the opening of the account. This brings the total to
     $5,523.00. Expenditures to date are: $2,800 for victims'
     families ($200 to each victim's family), $50 for
     transportation, $60 to pay for the transfer of the funds from
     the US to the Gambia.  $600 investment in the T-shirts. The
     balance therefore is: $5,523-(2800+50+60+600), which is equal
     to $2,013.00 (two thousand and thirteen US Dollars).

     Europe account

     Up to the time of writing this report, contributions from
     Europe are as follows:

     Denmark:    1000.00 DKK     ($127.03)
     Finland :       440.00  FIM       ($70.14)
     Germany:     300.00  DEM      ($145.38)
     Norway:      4000.00 NOK     ($463.83)
     Sweden:       5, 419.50 SEK    ($613.36)
     UK:             50.00     GBP       ($75.62)

     Total amount collected is therefore $1,495.36.

     What next?

     Based on the state of both accounts, an initial amount of
     $2,000.00 (two thousand US Dollars) can be sent to the
     Coalition of Defence Lawyers through the co-ordinating
     committee in The Gambia, to cover part of the filing costs in
     the civil suits, pending further progress in our fund raising
     efforts and in the legal process. Please let us know what you
     think.

     In the Progress Report No.1, we mentioned that further action
     to be taken would depend on the outcome of both the Coroner's
     Inquest and the Commission of Inquiry. While awaiting the
     Coroner's Report, the Commission of Inquiry is still on.
     Nevertheless, despite clear attempts to cover up and deviate
     from the pressing question of who gave the orders for the
     children to be massacred, and who was involved in the
     massacre, witness testimonies made under oath in both cases
     will provide some basis for prosecuting the real culprits in
     future.

     Newspapers and lawyers have been following and documenting the
     proceedings. We were informed that members of the Coalition of
     Lawyers for the defence of Human Rights, for example, have
     been following the proceedings closely.

     As no person is above the law in The Gambia, those whose hands
     are stained with blood will have their day in court,
     regardless of the office they occupy. They may not be jailed
     under the circumstances, but the Gambian people would have the
     opportunity to hear from them under oath, and apart from
     making a point that no person can expect to commit crimes
     without any consequences, lessons will be drawn by the Gambian
     people, who are by no means asleep. We can certainly
     contribute to this process either financially or by seeking
     the service of an internationally renowned lawyer to work with
     Gambian lawyers in this case, thus adding to the international
     dimension or both. What do you think?

     The task ahead

     THE APRIL MASSACRE MEMORIAL FUND,  together with partner
     organisations on the ground can significantly contribute
     towards upholding human rights and the rule of law in The
     Gambia. The great task ahead lies in pooling resources
     together, both financial and human.

     We should therefore intensify our fund raising efforts. At the
     moment, we can barely shoulder the filing cost for the  civil
     suits on behalf of the victims, both dead and living, as
     planed by the Coalition of Defence Lawyers. Further
     prosecutions in future will also cost a lot of money. How do
     we go about it? Should people contribute on a regular basis,
     say every month, every three months, yearly etc.? Should
     existing organisations, which subscribe to these views in
     different countries or individuals, be more actively involved
     in organising fund raising parties, sales and so on? Should we
     approach Government officials, NGOs and human rights
     organisations or movements etc. to assist us financially or
     otherwise? One thing is clear. Without financial resources our
     contribution will be limited! So what do you think? Should you
     deem it more appropriate, do not hesitate to send a private
     mail.

     We also need to identify partner organisations abroad with
     whom we can collaborate at different levels. Any organisation
     involved in the defence of human rights and the rule of law is
     a potential partner from whose experiences we can learn and
     perhaps receive assistance or obtain information about where
     to look for assistance.

     Through our collective efforts we can build a nation where
     human rights and the rule of law will be given due respect by
     any Government in The Gambia, but we must start to act now!

     We look forward to your comments and suggestions.

     Thank you.

     Soffie Ceesay, Karamba Touray and Alpha Robinson

     .