GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:54:27 +0100
Buharry,

Thank you for the clarification. Political developments are quantitative and
qualitative processes. How much can a people put up with in order to
facilitate peaceful change of government depends on each people. The role of
those who wish to be servants of the people is to gauge what each people
want at each given stage and develop strategies for them to achieve them.

What is important is not Halifa Sallah but the state of mind of the Gambian
people and what they deem to be appropriate at each given stage.

We are glad that in times of crisis we are always capable of doing what we
deem necessary to handle the situation. What we have no control over is how
Gambia is to be changed. What we have a duty to do is to play our role to
the best of our ability. At least we can assure people that we can be
consistent in doing that.

The situation in the country is a complex one. There are many forces at work
and one must take responsibility for leading the Gambian people into any
form of action to promote their liberty and empowerment. We will always
engineer the type of actions which we will always be proud to responsibility
for.

I will reply to Hamjatta tomorrow.

Greetings.

Halifa.