GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:42:10 GMT
Mr. Jaiteh,

I agree with your analogy entirely. However, with all due respect, people
like yourself are part of the problem we have in The Gambia. I have been a
member of this List for about nine months now, and unless  I have a terrible
memory, I haven't seen much from you regarding the madness going on back
home until these past two weeks when your relative Lt. Lalo Jaiteh was
arrested. Why does it have to take the arrest of a blood relative to
catapult you into vigilance against what has clearly been a savage govt for
years now?

I'm not saying/implying that you condone what has been going on in the
country. Rather I have a BIG problem with the fact that the majority of
Gambians -including yourself, do not speak out against injustice loud
enough, unless and until they are personally affected. Yes, I have a big
problem with that, because it's precisely because of that attitude that
we're in the mess we're in. I empathize with you for the pain you've been
going through the past two weeks for what happened to your relative. But,
can you also imagine what thousands of families back home have been going
through these past years? Won't it be nice to have had Malanding Jaiteh as a
vociferous comrade in the struggle against the fascism we have back home?

In short, this is a lesson to all Gambians: pretend that you're "above the
fray," or that you're too busy or important to "argue" with people on this
List about what's going on in Gambia. As long as Yaya Jammeh remains the
ruler back there, his evil WILL touch EVERY single one of us DIRECTLY.
Guaranteed! So, why wait until a blood relative of one is victimized to
become an open critic of this evil regime? Nothing personal Sir. Just need
to set some things straight...
Good day.

Saul.