GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:31:33 +0200
Ginny,

Formally, hijab was relatively a rare headress in Gambia. It was used by
women in prayer, or by even older women on ceremonial occasions. But as
I pointed out, that is no longer the case. There are numerous schools
that encourage it, and even amongst the wider public muslim women use it
increasingly.
Interestingly, this is not confined to women in Gambia alone, but rather
within Gambian communities overseas as well.
There were two notable cases of women who were attacked by a mob because
they were believed to have been inappropriately dressed. But a case you
might remember had to do with the much publicised showdown between a
school head and sections of muslim students who insisted on using a
headdress at school. That debate lasted long on the L.
These days, young girls advise their tailors to sew short skirts
labelled "Imam Fatty" - of all people - as a way of protest.

The question of disturbance relates to muslims, who experience
difficulties in concentrating in prayers because of loud music coming
from a nearby church simultaneously. I understand that there were
unreported cases of confrontations between people from the two faiths
where muslims demanded that church services be stopped until when they
are done with the Ramadan evening prayer.

No, I no longer believe that President Jammeh is using Islam
opportunistically for political gains. In any case, not to the degree he
did formally. His anti-western radicalism of former times was a
convenient instrument that pushed him into the embrace of arab leaders
with homeless money, such as Ghadaffi.

Cheers,
Momodou