GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sigga jagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:21:04 -0800
How laughable!  Am sure the families of Yusupha Mbaye,
Sainey Senghore, Assan Suwareh, the rest of the
injured, and the families of those who were murdered
would like to know what "...extended-family
counselling..." Mr. Jallow is talking about.  Those
families have been going through hell along with their
children since April 10 and 11; what with the
countless sleepless nights as they watch their
children wreathing in anguish, the mental anguish, the
feeling of helplessness that comes with watching a
loved one suffer without being able to do anything
about it, the financial strain as they seek the
limited medical treatments available in Gambia, the
numerous prescriptions that they have to pay for,
Yeah!am sure they would like to know about this
"...extended-family
> counselling...."  So tell us Mr. Jallow, what in the
H-LL are you talking about?  And you are right,
"...solutions are actively being sought to heal the
wounds through medical and judicial means..."  BUT IT
SURE AS H-LL IS NOT BY YOU OR YOUR COLLEAGUES.

--- "Jeng, Beran" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [...]
> out that despite the loss
> of lives and injuries, not to mention the wanton
> destruction of properties, both
> sides of this tragic conflict continue to display
> good will and patience. This
> is absolutely necessary while solutions are actively
> being sought to heal the
> wounds through medical and judicial means, as well
> as through extended-family
> counselling.
>
> We are, therefore, reminded of the urgent need to
> honour the national call for a
> healing process, in the interest of peace justice
> and the families affected. All
> of us should try in our little ways to contribute,
> just as the Point Editorial
> (26/12/00) quoted from an Indian mentor, Mr.
> Jawaharlal Nehru: "Every little
> thing counts in a crisis."
>
> Mr. Editor, your accusations in the Editorial
> "Gambia's Foreign Policy Failures"
> (4/12/00) provide yet another example of biased
> opinion. Unfortunately, it comes
> at a time of tragic events in Guinea Bissau,
> Casmance and other parts of the
> sub-region. Let us have the courage to give credit
> where it is due, and to rally
> as a nation behind government's untiring efforts in
> peace-building and
> re-conciliation. Peace and stability for Gambians,
> the sub- region and
> impoverished humanity is a national, professional
> and political responsibility.
> We need a healing process for peace an stability to
> achieve human development,
> especially for our disadvantaged women and youths.
>
> The conservative forces trying to restore the old
> order in this country are of
> course making use of the press corps. That is to be
> expected, but that is no
> excuse for turning a blind eye to the signs of
> progress. For example, The
> Gambia's farming families, which constitute the
> majority, have successfully
> responded to Government's "Back to the Land"
> campaign.
>
> Whereas the number of active farmers declined by 6%
> between 1991-94, the period
> 1994-1999 speaks of progress in job creation: an
> increase of 26% was registered!
> Mr. Jacques Diouf, Director-General of FAO, also
> reported during his recent
> visit that the Gambia is "one of the 10 countries to
> have achieved food
> security." We are grateful for the prayers and good
> rains, but it is only fair
> to acknowledge the significant role played by
> investments made into the sector
> by government and its development partners.
>
> Our ideological orientation and party affiliation
> aside, let us accept the facts
> of progress. IF not out of commitment to
> professional ethics, doing so would
> certainly be a "little thing" that counts in a
> healing process urgently needed
> to help improve upon the African condition.

> if you have problems accessing the web interface and
> remember to write your full name and e-mail address.

=====
"NO ONE CAN MAKE YOU FEEL INFERIOR WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION"

                       ALSO

"NOTHING IS UNACHIEVABLE, THE ONLY QUESTION IS, WHETHER ONE IS WILLING TO DO WHAT IT TAKES TO ACHIEVE WHAT IS DESIRED"