GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
wuri jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:14:17 +0200
From: awa joeque <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2000 10:54 AM
Subject: In Today's Gambia, is Jammeh the 'LAW'?

> I think that the US government, Britain and human rights organisations
> should declare the Jammeh government a TERRORIST ORGANISATION.  The
> international media should not ignore what is happening in the Gambia.
> Sierra Leone started like this and it was until recently that the country
> started attracting media attention.  Had Sierra Leone been reported at the
> initial stage of the fighting , a lot of international attention would have
> been drawn, and that may have prevented some of the atrocities.
>
> But it is so easy to engage in remote control analysis on a 'Birr bu Fess'
> (full stomach) thousands of miles away from home.  How many of us are
> willing to go home, or provide financial and material support where it is
> desperately needed?

Sister Awa,
It would be very good if these governments(US & Britain) will be willing to show solidarity with our people, by coming to our aid when needed. Judging from their standing record I would rather call for the mass mobilization of our own people than waiting for the former to 'declare the Jammeh government a TERRORIST ORGANISATION'.

Sister, these are the world leaders who turned a blind eye to the atrocities in Rwanda. Infact the international group that took the first practical initiative to address the Rwandan genocide was 'Medicin sans Frontier'. (my French is lousy!)
 The number one oath to save lives irrespective of colour or class made these universal doctors to answer a basic pledge to save human lives. Lives that are not worth a third of a mule!(With reference to July 4th celebrations!)

Ribs were blown in the air, women raped, old people maimed and children amputated in Liberia - Sierra Leone, yet the representatives of the American people were sweating tons under an impeachment suit against their president! Think about it! The most powerful(and indeed it is the most powerful)country of our age made this affair a world event! Too much soap!

As a people our lives as Africans are worthless to this group. Some of us can marry white people, come with them to Africa, baptize them and call them Muhammed or Aja Basse, yet in the eyes of the Western power brokers we remain nothing but primates at the very beginning of the evolutionary chain!!

Awa, this is a protracted struggle! My humble view is: we have started; let us continue by (1)contributing to the funds periodically, (2) giving our moral and economic support to those who are on the ground and are addressing the same agenda. If we are consistent, our celebration of victory will not only be the labelling of  a 'terrorist organisation', but the total liberation of a whole nation, rising up in awareness and refusing to be raped , murdered or abducted! For the rest of time!!

All the best,
Jay.